Southwest Meet 9th November---PICS ADDED---

I've had to split and sell my Saracen to fund a new rear wheel to replace the one I wrecked today up Haldon on the bottom part of the red route :( :( :( and the Karakoram won't be with me until the week after the ride
:( :( :( so new wheel permitting i'll have to do it on my Trailstar built back up into 'XC' guise... sorry guys

toadoftoadhall, yeah it is pretty gert. We don't have to go that way though. To be honest, maybe The Plough is better placed in the course of the ride than the Blue Ball. If we start at Lydeard Hill, then work our way towards Holford, we should be there for opening time! :cool:

The Blue Ball's a bit too close to Lydeard Hill if we're leaving there around 10ish (you can get to the pub from there pretty quick) – 'tis nice though, lovely chips with olives :D

The hill back up to the top is a road climb although I use the word road fairly loosely (don't think my car would get up it)

The Plough is nice though.

I'll leave my landrover and trailer at the plough just in case of any break downs or if anyone would like a lift up to dead womans ditch or back to lyderard hill [+ im probably a bit out of practice] :oops:

are there any really steep hills on this route? i'm thinking i'll chuck a triple chainset and front mech on the Trailstar if so...

Most of the hills back up onto the ridge are fairly steep, you'll certainly want a granny ring – there are a few where I've tipped off the back 'cause I couldn't keep the front wheel down and keep traction, but not everything's like that, besides there's always the option of walking up some bits :LOL:

Crayons, seeing as we both know the area well, are we going to make up the route on the day, or do you have something in mind? :)

Bike Hoarder":ha0npz6a said:
Crayons, seeing as we both know the area well, are we going to make up the route on the day, or do you have something in mind? :)

Probably worth playing it by ear?? Wondered about Smith oombe, but not sure I'd want to ride that on a rigid bike :D

Guess we want to mix things up to give everyone a real taster.

Back