Broken bike, insurer messing around.

SPESHMIKE

Old School Hero
On sunday one of my kids (none of them will admit to it) moved my retro ish in my eyes FSR s-works into the wrong place in the garage. I then reversed over it cracking the rear triangle and bending the wheel and a couple of other bits. bad times

Called my insurer LV and the bike is on as a seperate item value £3900 with a new for old scheme. Everything was starting to look up, then they decided to call specialized.

They have now told me that they will not be replacing my bike with an S-works bike as they are now carbon and mine is aluminum. They have instead offered me a Stumpjumper fsr comp and told me I can keep my old bike.

Am I being unreasonable expecting an S-works or what the other problem is unlike a lot of fellow retro lovers I only have this one bike built up so I'm tempted to say ok I'll have it just do I can get out on the trails again. :cry: :cry:

surely they have to replace with the equivalent in the range as yours was then - so what if they are carbon now? See if they will haggle.

Thats what I thought as well but what they are saying is technology has improved and the £1000 fsr is as good as the £2500 fsr I bought 8 years ago. They always find a way out insurance companies :twisted:

If you know a lawyer, get him to write a letter to the insurance company and you will probably get what you want, minus his fee for being the intermediary, but if he only writes a letter it shouldn't cost you much.

stew-b":21ycor2p said:
golden rule of insurance-ALWAYS reject the 1st offer....
Unless as in my case the bike was insured for less than it's value (didn't realise) so I could only get £1000 on the policy I was on (bike value to replace old for new was £2.7k-£2.8k)

Just got a £1000 cheque today (plus they forgot to deduct the £50 excess!)

Hmmm, I know you like your S-Works Mike, but if I were you I'd take their offer.

You can then you can strip your FSR of all the retro XTR/XT and build up the Stumpjumper frame.

Out of 1 disaster you get 2 bikes! :cool:

Then, mount the FSR on your office wall ;)

Yep, they can't do a capability comparison, they are naughty and very over-priced (I was with LV before I saw the light and found M&S!).

Back