2003 Rocky Mountain Stratos restoration

Wow, I hope she’s grateful, that’s a beauty! Better than new I reckon, and an amazing transformation from that poor unloved thing you bought. Just a pity that you haven’t got a replica of the Easton Elite decal, as that was a nice touch on the original, but aside from that I think your design and decals are classier than the RM originals.

Yes, that’s a size 14.5, the smallest they make. If Mrs RockiMtn finds that marginal, she’s not going to find anything much smaller. They quoted 3.9lbs for a size 18.5 frame, which sounds reasonable for Elite and their claims are usually fairly honest. For such a small frame, I reckon it must be around 3.5lbs, so she can’t complain about hills either!

Mind you, if she was anything like my wife, you’d have done all that work and produced one hell of a beautiful bike for her and she’d say ‘don’t I even get disc brakes?’

Thanks Anthony for the kind words. She is definitely pleased with it. She knows how much work I put into it for her. Matter of fact, my sister and a female co-worker of mine, is very envious of her, and would take the bike in a heartbeat! The both LOVE the white for some reason. :LOL:

I could probably replicate the Easton decal, but considering not much of the bike is stock anymore, didn't bother to try to make it look so.

Eventually I may swap in the hydro brakes and wheelset from the ETSX-70 where most of the parts on her bike now came from, when I do some more upgrading to my bike. But I doubt she'll hardly know the difference, if she notices at all that I changed things! :roll:

a few updates… RF Deus stem, slightly longer but more rise, Race Face RealSeal headset, and a few violet chainring bolts! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_3316.JPG
    IMG_3316.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,232
  • IMG_3317.JPG
    IMG_3317.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 3,232
  • IMG_3315.JPG
    IMG_3315.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 3,232
  • IMG_3312.JPG
    IMG_3312.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 3,232
yep, my itch isn't confined to my bikes… so here are a few updates. swapped out another RM stem, set of On-One Mary bars and a set of XT M730 bear trap pedals. ;)

anyone that sees and/or rides the bike… loves it. makes the missus happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0732.JPG
    IMG_0732.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 739
Very nice indeed Chris and so pleased your Mrs loves it and you've given me a few ideas too for the bike that i've got for my Mrs as you've made a lot of sense regards bike confort for the opposite sex and i now believe i need a replacement bike for her :facepalm: ..

glad my suggestions have given you new perspective for the bike for your missus and hope it makes her much happier! ;)

i've update the levers to XT to match the brakes, but i think the rest has remained about the same.

Yes it certainly has given me a new perspective mate although the saddle on the 98 Kona is a big chunky affair which she is really happy with so i think we'll be sticking that and everything else except for frame and forks although she says she's happy with the jump forks but some suspension just might be more appreciated once she has tried it ..

So how come you've changed the levers XT as i thought you were happy with the other or wasn't it as durable as you had hoped ? ..

Back