F1...its a farce!

seeing the video , he probably gained an advantage from it , as by slowing down he managed to get right behind the Ferrari and overtake, whereas it would have been impossible just by coming out of the corner .

its irrelavent,raki passed him again around the corner then he crashed,he certainly didnt gain 25 seconds of advantage.

isnt 25 seconds the standart penalty for it ?

anyhow it is like evrything else in F1 , a big circus to make money . the sport side has long been gone .

Raki past him, but he had to overtake him and throw it in front of LH, almost losing it and being unable to position himself on the ideal line for the next corner.... That´s where LH took benefit.

That´s not quite the idea of giving back the position.

Yeah, Hamilton kept the racing line which had more grip so he could accelerate better. Hamilton should have waited he would have passed him later on in the lap most probably.

And yes, 25 seconds is the standard penalty if it's too late in the race to give a drive-through penalty.

I think the key point is that this is a new interpretation of the rule that you can’t gain an advantage from leaving the track. If you do gain one you must immediately give it back, so up to now dropping back behind has always been sufficient to avoid penalty. While the overtake may have been mainly on later braking through having more grip, there is an arguable case that there could also have been an element of advantage in being in the slipstream. But I think the sense of injustice is because this is the first time anybody has ever been penalised for an overtake at the next corner, and what Hamilton did is what most drivers thought you were supposed to do.

Ironically KR overtook Massa on lap 1 as a result of leaving the track on the exit from La Source and thus getting a better run down the hill and slipstreaming FM up onto the straight, which he wouldn’t have been able to do if he hadn’t left the road. i.e., he broke exactly the same rule, but a lot more clearly. That wasn’t a short cut, but the rule doesn’t mention short cuts, just leaving the road.

As Nicki Lauda said 'worst decision in F1 history'. And that man has forgotten more than we know about racing.

Even Lauda makes mistakes. When did he say this?

However, should Kimi have pushed LH immediately out of the way to get on the dry line...?

Tommi74":5fehtfox said:
Even Lauda makes mistakes. When did he say this?
Today in an interview, it's everywhere.

Tommi74":5fehtfox said:
However, should Kimi have pushed LH immediately out of the way to get on the dry line...?
I don't understand your point about lines, once Kimi was ahead he had the advantage and could take whatever line he chose, couldn't he? He was only overtaken because the Ferrari has the least grip in the field in those conditions.

Witness, Kimi is a great driver but he was the only one to crash out on the last lap. Witness, Massa's last lap was the slowest of any driver in the field, 7 sec slower than the next worst. The car just doesn't work its tyres hard enough to have grip in conditions like that (remember Silverstone).

Back