Iron Horse THS-1 : build finished - Pics/specs on pg. 2

Aaaaaaand, done. Sort of. I need to pull the Kuster apart and service it. In the mean time I put the Vanilla R from my Zig-Zag on it. Spring's right, Couple of clicks on the adjusters, and it's good. It's going to be my that-looks-doable ride that I can take if we're going to be riding nasty sections or jumping off stuff downtown, so I built it up with robust parts.Taking it on tomorrow's ride for the shakedown.

Frame: 97 Iron Horse THS-1 (Toby Henderson Special)
Fork: Marzocchi Z1 QR20
Headset: Chris King
Stem: Azonic Shorty
Handlebar: Answer Alumilites
Grips: Renthal PWC - Diamond pattern/Medium Compound
Brakes: Hope C2 w. custom full floating brake
Shifters: Grip Shift SRT 800 X-Rays
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX
Rear Derailleur: 950 XTR
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano 737 XT
Chain: HG-70
Cranks: Profile 3 pc.
Chainrings: 24t Action Tec/36t Race Face/Blackspire Ring God bashring
Pedals: Shimano DX II
Hub Skewers: XTR(r)/Marzocchi 20mm(f)
Rims: Sun Rhyno Lite
Hubs: Hope Big Un
Spokes: DT
Tires: Tioga Factory DH
Saddle: Titec Berzerker DH
Seatpost: Ringle Moby

Weight: as always, don't care

ih8.jpg

ih5.jpg

ih6.jpg

ih7.jpg

Sweet bike, nice build, good job!

Now take it to the top of a big steep hill and ride it back down. fast :D

Went for a ride along the Bruce Trail on the Niagara escarpment from Niagara Falls to Queenston and back. A few minor teething problems, but the bike flat out rips on the rocky singletrack. Forks were starting to break in and give that buttery smooth Marzocchi action by the end of the ride. Very happy with how it turned out.

ih4.jpg

Holy thread resurrection.....wondering how this ride is doing after a few years. I have the same frame and want to build it up soon. Quick question......I often see folks talking about the Weasel frames cracking......is this frame just as susceptible? It seems that there are slight (or maybe not so slight) differences. Will not be doing giant jumps/drops but lots and lots of roots and rock gardens.

Had it out a couple of weeks ago. I certainly don't hold back when I ride it. Never held back on the first one I had, either. No issues with either bike, and the first one was my go-to bike for our urban let's-hit-everything-in-sight loop downtown.

jusurb-1.jpg

The "loser buys the next pitcher" races down the west side stairs of the Skydome were always fun.

hi-skydome-getty-94683996.jpg

That is freakin great to know.......your build is inspiring me to get going with mine. Mine needs paint though so I'm going to start checking into that. Thanks for the update and the pics.

Re:

I've made some changes since I built it up, mostly to shed some weight. M952 cranks/BB, RF rings + NS-1 bash ring, Answer Pro Tapers, and Tioga Psycho/Psycho Edge tires. And a 953 FD.......because XTR. Yeah, it's one of the bikes that's hung up inside. I like looking at it.

0D4C2A0C-D608-499E-A1A4-5E470F588990-12076-000007B6E9371FAA_zpsqerxlaca.jpg

Back