1997 Giant MCM980 with 2012 upgrades and a few trick parts

Fantastic. Not always a fan of carbon fibre but can't fault this at all.
Love a good retro-modernisation. In fact, with the internal cabling being back in fashion it really looks like it could have come out of the factory in the last couple of years.

superstu":1jc4mv9f said:
Fantastic. Not always a fan of carbon fibre but can't fault this at all.
Love a good retro-modernisation. In fact, with the internal cabling being back in fashion it really looks like it could have come out of the factory in the last couple of years.
Thanks, it is amazing how fashions come back round again every so often. I like internal cabling as it looks far neater imo :)

PhilGee":1jc4mv9f said:
Really like that. I'd be frightened of using it! Good job.
When i first got it i didnt want to use it as it was in such good condition. It seemed a shame that it had been kept in such good condition for 15 years and i was going to thrash it about. In the end i just thought well you brought it to ride not to stare at in the garage, so go out and ride it, and i am glad i did/have :)

In action last weekend on the retro national series peak district, thanks to the members that took these pictures and a great day out biking :cool: :D

150920121327_zps5a60403c.jpg

6bd4f6dd_zps1b796a05.jpg

IMAG0226b_zpsa65a4874.jpg

And post ride;

IMG_1061_zpscbaf6a8e.jpg

Hi - What's the rear disc bracket on this? I ask as my LBS just waved an 18" NOS MCM 990 frame in my face :shock:

I am SO tempted....

Bollox64":211fqz51 said:
Hi - What's the rear disc bracket on this? I ask as my LBS just waved an 18" NOS MCM 990 frame in my face :shock:

I am SO tempted....
It is an A2Z disc brake adaptor.

Hi again, I pulled the trigger on the MCM viewtopic.php?f=6&t=321142

thing is, it has a 30.4 seatpost, and it seems a tad small. On Bikepedia the MCM 990 is stated as having a 30.8 seatpost.

Any chance you can measure your seatpost?

Cheers, Alec

Scrub the above - fixed a Vernier gauge and measured the seat-tube inner diameter, and it is 30.8.

Really inspired by your build - how it looks and your review of how it rides, so I think I'll be following the same route, maybe with a tad more retro parts.

Awakened from the dead!

Still not started my build yet, but soon. Wondering if you needed to widen the cable hole in the frame to fit the rear hyd piping through the frame?

If yes, did you use a file or a drill to widen the in and out holes?

Cheers / Alec

Back