What would you do to this Rockhopper? Update 16-12-09

Paintwork looks okay to me. Clean it up, new cables, replace drivechain parts if broken but otherwise just go ride it.

Needs a 'deep clean', degrease chain/cassette etc then, as everyone else says, fit a lower rise stem and loose the barends...

Not much else I'd do really, a nice wholesome mountain bike :)

Leave it well alone as with the majority of comments here :)

I also agree with switching cables, stem and losing the bar ends.

The wheels seem to be drawing comment re the spoke condition. Would probabaly ditch them altogether and source out a similar age set with better hubs maybe? There's some rather nice Mavic M231's on xt hubs for sale on here I believe ;)

Re: What would you do to this Rockhopper?

mart77":1yiscy78 said:
Here are a couple of options that I am considering.
1. Strip paint myself and respray in current colour scheme ( I do feel confident on spraying the frame)
2. Powercoat the frame white and add black decals.
The paint is good, just clean it and polish it - don't T-cut it, that's too severe, but a good polish has some fine abrasive elements that will remove minor imperfections and it'll look great.

Current rebuild plan:
1. Replace gearset with new Deore LX equipment
2. Replace stem, Saddle & seat stay.
2. Fit some retro Pace forks
If the gears work, I'd keep them. You need a better stem and seat post, every bike needs a Flite and that's probably a steel handlebar that weighs a pound - save over half a pound with an aluminium one. Dynamically, the biggest improvements you could make to that bike would be:

1. fit handbuilt wheels - lighter, tighter, faster in every way. If the ride is too harsh, get fat tyres and maybe a Stan's tubeless system so you can run low pressures without getting punctures.
2. V brakes

Or: put the money towards a lightweight Kona rebuild?
Both

Latest posts

Back