Iconic bikes in the pro peleton

Chip Korea":2gk3kvjb said:
I am totally biased but the early / mid 90s Team TVM bikes have the most lush colour scheme around.

I liked the fact they put a colour chart on their frames too :LOL:

mike

I was soon to be a teenager and was riding my own Raleigh.............. Olympus :facepalm:

This was the one we all wanted. Until the FS1E

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 490
oonaff":336pg2tx said:
where's old ned :LOL:

Keeping warm and dry and indoors away from the snow!!

Lots of bikes to choose from the nearly 60 years I've been watching.

Green Helyett from the 50's
Red and White Flandria from 50's to 70's
White with Black lugs Peugeot from the 60's and 70's
Merckx White and Red and then Orange and Blue
Bianchi of any era
Raleigh Red and Black

The problem is that when I started my TdF interest, the vast majority of photos were Black and White and it was a bit of guess work deciding what colours team bikes were. It's only relatively recently that more colour shots have become available that old bike colours have been seen. But what about the 20's, 30's and 40's team bikes. What colours were they?

Hopefully more colourful than the Black carbon horrors that have been all to common recently.

Old Ned":n730q47g said:
But what about the 20's, 30's and 40's team bikes. What colours were they?

Hopefully more colourful than the Black carbon horrors that have been all to common recently.

I think a lot of 20's bikes were, erm, black :D

Joking apart, most of the very old racing bikes I've seen seem to be dark
shades of red, green, blue, orange etc. etc... Not sure if the colours were originallydark or if they've faded over time though.

Wasn't there at least one edition of the TdF where all the teams had to ride identical yellow bikes supplied by the organisers?

Attachments

• 20sbike.jpg
    20sbike.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 467
Re:

Hello Ned
Its just Ned because of respect, because I might be older than you. Glad to see your still around. Have some interesting pics of Frejus, Cinelli and Flandria look a likes all in near original colours. Might be better you give me a ring on 01904 238112 or 01977 554522 for comments.
Les Street

Re: Re:

agipgasles":31t77ekg said:
Hello Ned
Its just Ned because of respect, because I might be older than you. Glad to see your still around. Have some interesting pics of Frejus, Cinelli and Flandria look a likes all in near original colours. Might be better you give me a ring on 0***** or 0***** for comments.
Les Street
Hi Les, good to see you're still around too! And I think you might be right about the relative ages ;)

I'll be in touch although I would remove your numbers from your post if I were you.

It's Eddy Merckx 70th birthday this year, and that's celebrated with a nod to the legendary white/red Faema team bike:

Old:
iqgBFMs.jpg

New:
15.jpg

Yours for 14000 euro. Say what! Awesome though :)

I seen the blurb about the new one of the steel Merckx and its way, way, way overpriced. I love my Merckx and am a real fan of the old and new Merckx but this is just the management cashing in. Their carbon models are a real dream but while these are lovely they are way overpriced and outside of the realm of most riders. They will be bought by those making an investment for the most part. Its not really a bike but arse jewellery ;)

Jamie

Once again, these new versions of old bikes confuse me. I'd imagine a lot of riders of modern bikes would not really get the reference to the classic bike, and probably not really want a steel bike at all, while vintage riders would probably prefer a proper vintage steel frame, made of Columbus or 531.

Merckx also tried to make a fixie with the Molteni colours but it was pretty awful - nice coloured frame but with horrible white fixie components. Looked awful, 'neither fish nor meat' as they say in Flemish.

It would great to be able to buy a proper replica of a classic frame, but I guess you have to go to the bespoke builders for that...

Back