Couple of questions. Dura ace 7401 brake lever issues

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Can somebody talk me through fitting Dura ace 8 speed downtube shifters?
I must have something on the wrong orientation as when i do the screw up the lever only moves through a small amount ie 1 click :? SORTED :D

Also should Dura ace brake levers spring back or are they noy spring loaded?
The ones i have seem to have some issues :?
EDIT* It seems you need a special larger diametre ferrule for the end of the cable outer that goes in the lever otherwise the outer pulls through to the front of the lever?
Does this sound right, i'd like to use them if i can get them working :D

Apart from that it flying together :LOL: :LOL:

Re: Couple of assembly questions.

If they are anything like my 6-speed DAs, they are quite fiddly to fit correctly. Try disassembly and then add the components one at a time and make sure each is bedded down before adding the next.

I had a spare pair which I sold to an experienced builder of this parish. He said they were broken; it was his third fitting before they seated properly and worked fine. Persevere, they're nice shifters once they're in!

I've abandoned the brake levers defo something up there :(
I shall make another attempt at the shifters :D

The 7400, 7401 and 7402 lever were not spring loaded. The 7403 levers were. The early levers I suppose rely on the spring tension in the brakes to return the lever. As they are so pretty I will use them. The DA D/T shifter are very tricky to fit but persevre they will work. It took me a while to make the ones I have got to work.

Shifters sorted, not sure how or why but they work :D
Still frowning at the brake levers :?

Figured it out :D It appears that the brake levers need an insert for the end of the cable outer?
Without it fitted the outer is pulling through upto the back of the nipple and cocking things up :?

Back