Wookiee's 2012 Santa Cruz Highball Alu FINISHED PAGE 2!

Thanks for the comments

@Jimplops yeah its growing on me...hard to shake the Marin love!
@HM yeah the carbon ashes!
@Makster I cant wait to get out on it the position defo seems more suited to me than the Marin just have to see how the ride harshness differs from the carbon...
@Superstu...the jury is still out on the colour scheme, I want to see how it rides to determine for sure that its a keeper before I change anything...(dont have a spare black saddle either!)

Doug

I reckon' it looks super smart and understated with all that lush XTR on a single colour frame. Very nice indeed :cool:

Initial ride report...

...Due to health issues I've not been able to give it a proper full on blast but I have taken it out for a few miles over my local woods with the dog! My thoughts so far...I've not noticed that it is a bit heavier than the Marin but then it is only 1.5lbs...As far as the fit goes I feel it fits me better than the Marin. The toptube is a bit longer and that helps with my gibbon arm set up! And the seat tube is 0.5" shorter than the Marin. To be honest the Marin now feels like it was a bit too big in the frame compared to the SC. The chainstays are a bit shorter also and maybe its the bend in the seat tube but the rear wheel feels like its more seated underneath the saddle. This made it feel a bit more lively and managable, I found it easier to lift the front wheel over objects and the traction on the rear felt good too...Still need to find some decent mud tyres for the winter, thinking Bonty Mud or Maxxis Beaver at the moment.

A proper ride diagnosis will be given when I have ridden in anger but it seems that its all that I am after from a 29er! Well unless a Ti frame crops up!

Doug

First proper ride report a quick 11 mile offroad ride on my usual routes:

It rides really well! I much prefer the ride position to that of the CXR its easier on my back! I really haven't noticed the extra 1.5lbs of weight over the Marin either. As for the ride harshness its hard to tell in the autumnal mud the real test will really be on the bumpier dry summer trails. But on first impressions its no different to me... The chainstays are slightly shorter that the Marin and the "bendy" seat tube tucks the rear wheel nicely under the saddle which is great for climbing. Admittedly it is not as "flicky" as a 26" wheel bike but that downside is outweighed for me by the rolling speed and solid stable feel...Thats not to say that I didn't come off even on this gentle ride! But I blame the tyres that just couldn't handle the muddy conditions. That is being addressed as I have a pair of Bontrager XR Mud tyres on their way to me.

Oh and on another subject the XTR rear mech has the clutch feature which I have to say really works! Next to no chain slap on the chain stays and still shifts beautifully. But that could be in part to the XTR groupset...I really am a Shimano man love the way it works! Since the last pics I have got a new set of Ti Bontrager QR skewers for the wheels which set the Bonty hubs off nicely too (I know I am a tart!). Still toying with the idea of a different frame colour and been in touch with SC to see if they do the Highball Decals...but they dont as they are laquered over and they dont carry replacements :roll: So maybe I will keep as is, but white is my least favourite bike colour so we will see!

Doug

Nah, white Santa cruz is where it's at ;) I think it looks ace as it is.
Shame I wasn't on hand when u needed help with headset (top2 - 44mm z/s, bottomF - 49mm trad 1.5). All modern tapered SC's take the same one. I spend my life ordering the blighters!
It's a nice build, my colleague runs a blue one. The new gloss red is really nice in the flesh too.
C86567E2-E233-40EE-ADD3-6170310E0273-2270-000003832A636690_zpsacd544cb.jpg

Thanks I have to say I prefer the blue of your mates...and the red sounds good too...but might be thinking of a matt black "stealth" finish! That is a big might though, in all honesty it will probably stay as it is!

Now wearing its winter tyres...Bontrager Mud XR Team Issue 29ers...my first attempt at putting tubeless tyres on the SC and a success! They ride really well and are just the ticket for the clay/swamp/slop of my local trails! Also now have a nice set of Bonty Ti QR skewers...

Attachments

• mud tyre 1.jpg
    mud tyre 1.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 345
  • Santa Cruz mud tyres.jpg
    Santa Cruz mud tyres.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 345
Excuse my absolute ignorance of anything post 1997 ;-) but what does the clutch function actually do?

Joking aside, I try and kit out the commuter with more modern components, so I'm curious.

Back