Austin 1100, a summer project to keep me occupied

What was in the boxes?

Awesome project, I'd love to have the skill, time or patience to see something like that through!

We had a Morris 1300 in the same shape. The vinyl seats on a hot sunny day were torture.

........I had one, reg ABT 313K Distinctly remember the number as Plod was calling it in because it had broken down yet again :( Norwich town centre LOL

How's it going?

Shaun

REKIBorter":1j9znl4r said:
We had a Morris 1300 in the same shape. The vinyl seats on a hot sunny day were torture.

Cars of a certain vintage with lots of dark-coloured plastic in their interiors generally ended up like an oven in the summer; I well remember Dad's Hillman Avenger with black dash and door linings plus black vinyl seats - ouch. Double ouch if wearing shorts.

David

Forgot about this old thread, unfortunatly I had to sell her in the end, but the new owner bought it as a first car for his daughter and was a welder by trade so hopefully it's future is bright.

I bought one of these a few years ago, or rather the owner gave me it plus £1000 in exchange for a Honda CRX I had.

For some odd reason I thought owning a "classic" would be fun. I collected it 200 miles from home having driven the CRX there for the swap. The drive home was a bit of a shock, Japanese pocket rocket with 150BHP that weighed sod all to what felt like about 20BHP and a top speed below the legal limit on the motorway.

It was fun for a while then I got a hole in the petrol tank and couldn't get a replacement so it sat outside my house for a couple of months. Then I found a note on it from a guy saying he had one with good bodywork and a rotten interior, my one had bad bodywork and an excellent interior and he's like to buy it. I ended up letting him have it for free as he was obviously a bit of a fan of them.

You don't really buy petrol tanks. You buy a stick welder and cut a patch from an old paint can.

Looks like this will be an interesting read. I will follow the build. I had the MG 1300GT version. It was a pig to start in the morning. I had to go out to it half hour before I wanted to go out in it, try starting it until the battery seemed flat, wait half hour and then it would start first turn of the key. I never locked it up where ever I went. I smashed it into a fence doing 60 in thick fog and the lights and grill were under the front wheels. My mate and I came out without a scratch. Great nippy car. Had a blow in the manifold, but it made it sound like a dragster. Never did have it fixed. It was scrapped in the end.

Back