Using threaded ridged forks with an a head set?

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Is it possible to use a threaded 1 1/8'' steerer tube set of ridged forks with an a-head set as opposed to a quil stem & threaded head set?

I've done this for over 10 years with no running problems at all.

installation wise you may find a little resistance with the threads on the steerer tube as you push the forks though the aheadset, and the fitting of the star nut may be a bit harder to instal as the diameter is slightly different, but thats it, oh and dont forget the steerer tube will have to be longer to be able to fit the ahead stem, unless you use an quill to ahead extender.

No doubt I'm going to be told that my bike will self destruct ,fail and is no way safe using this setup so its up to you if you take my advice, I'm just a cyclist. :D

I wouldn't reccommend doing it, but my current road bike has this particular bodge and Im still alive, so it seems to working out fine so far :)

i always wanted to do that :facepalm: the headaches it would have saved if i had done so :oops:
once i had to get threads extended when i could have just clamped the stem on :oops: sigh

don't forget there are quill-to aheadstem converters out there. use the threaded forks and headset, insert the adapter and fit an aheadstem.
Depends if you want to use just an aheadstem, or an aheadset as well though.

I've heard of it before, not sure if I'd trust it though whilst hammering down cut gate, teeth chattering, jagged rocks and no skin left on my face just one slip away!.....the converter sounds a much better idea!.....

Back