Suntour 6 speed thumb shifters - help me ID these please!

GeneralOsik

Kona Fan
I picked these up at a local used bike store for $5 and I can't seem to identify them. The part that baffles me are the clamps. I've never seen Suntour shifters with a hinged clamp before. The rear shifter is 6 speed indexed or friction. What do you think?

pkXyqih.jpg

5FiHp7j.jpg

vRVc0ue.jpg

P1EL2Qh.jpg

DZ06Evt.jpg

puKd78o.jpg

GvFTzjN.jpg

xLpcu3W.jpg

Re: Suntour 6 speed thumb shifters - help me ID these please

GeneralOsik":3nsfkbtc said:
What do you think?

They obviously pre-date these ones (I have for sale right now), but I don't know what the equivalent model would have been in the preceeding groupset, sorry

Cheers...Nick

9486274478_b6332aafcb_c.jpg

Those look like Suntour XC7000 grouppo. I have the same on my 1987 Panasonic MC-6500 MTB.

andyfloyd82":v0r0btew said:
Those look like Suntour XC7000 grouppo. I have the same on my 1987 Panasonic MC-6500 MTB.

I'm not sure that right (but please prove me wrong with some pictures). Suntour launched their indexing shifting in 1987 with the Accushift SL-5000-CH shifters and the clamp wasn't as sophisticated as this. The pictures aren't great but you'll see what I mean http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190883571513? ... 027wt_1083

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've been digging into this for my own project and Suntour used the same shifter mechanism over a variety of groupsets but they changed the clamp to keep costs down on the lower end stuff.

Your shifters are the same as Melvin has on his 1987 SM800 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9424 i.e. SL-XS00-CH's

Back