axle and crank arm gap.

casper2788":27l0er81 said:
Yes the chain is slightly catching the inside of the large chainring.

Does it vibrate on the next rear ring up from small ? If you get my drift.....

bugloss":39flzks8 said:
casper2788":39flzks8 said:
Yes the chain is slightly catching the inside of the large chainring.

Does it vibrate on the next rear ring up from small ? If you get my drift.....
I'm catching your drift.Yes, but very hardly noticible.

As ScillySuffolk said, you shouldn't use the extremes i.e. small/small or large/large as the chain has to much diagonal movement for it to cope with. If you persist in using them it will accelerate the wear on your front chain rings, stretch the chain quicker and wear out the bottom jockey wheel on the rear derailleur.

The rear block won't wear as much as it's probably made of steel.

So it would just seem to be gear selection that's causing it,but going back to the original post would you expect the gap on the axle to be the same on both sides or has the chainring hole possibly got larger.

I doubt the chain ring hole has got larger, as it would require a lot of force for the axel to stretch it out. You are more likely to break the bolt than enlarge the square hole.

bugloss":3sqfroh6 said:
I doubt the chain ring hole has got larger, as it would require a lot of force for the axel to stretch it out. You are more likely to break the bolt than enlarge the square hole.
:D

casper2788":1pd7hi11 said:
ScillySuffolk":1pd7hi11 said:
^ Exactly!

What cranks do you have and how wide/long is the BB?
The cranks are dura ace 7402 and the axle is 115mm wide.I don't suppose the crank bolt hole has widened do you think. :? :cry:also dura ace b/b.
These three sources state 112mm for British/ISO shells:
Velobase
Moruya
Bikepro

The gap between the small chainring and the chainstay is a better indicator than the gap twixt crank and cup: should only be a couple of mm or so.

I had a look down at my cranks yesterday in the pouring rain and driving wind (still summer here) and noticed that the axel went in up to the hilt.

I couldn't see any axel taper at all, so maybe yours don't match up. I've got Campag Record cranks and a Campag axel.

can anyone tell from the picture which way the axle goes in,if you look at either end of the axle one end is different.

Attachments

• axle2 032.JPG
    axle2 032.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 387
Back