To lube or not to lube....

So, ride, spray off mud, wipe down, spray gt85/wd40 on components, wipe off excess. (My routine)

Problematic? What to use instead if so?

GT85 and WD40 are primarily just water displacers, although the former does have Teflon as an ingredient.

I used to use GT85 to lightly spray on components and the frame after washing bikes down after a ride. It's good for preventing rust on SPDs and bolts etc, but it doesn't really provide any real lubrication.

More recently I've started using Swarfega Duck Oil for the same purpose as it's a bit cheaper and readily available in a refillable spray bottle.

For cables I use Rock n' Roll Cable Magic which is very good.
For chainlube I've been using Weldtite TF2 for the last couple of years.

I wouldn't lube teflon coated cables, but if you felt you really must, then I imagine something like Kontakt-Chemie 85 PTFE Spray Lubricant could be the ticket.

Just to reinforce a point made - WD40 is NOT a lubricant.

During the very short time I worked for Yale, we had a problem with a large water supplier who used Yale padlocks (big commercial jobs at £100 each). Every time the engineers went to a pumping station, they would spray WD40 inside the locks and then put the key in. Eventually the locks stopped working, as the WD 40 washed all the (graphite) lube out of the locks.

The good thing about GT85 is that it's an all-rounder.
There are solvents in there that very effectively strip the grime off with ease then deposit a layer of PTFE to lubricate.
I use nothing but GT85 on my winter hack and it keeps on ticking.
Again, that's all I put on my MTB's... Wash, then a full spray down with GT85 into dérailleurs and chain before stowing away.

Latest posts

Back