vintage cycle motors, a good idea?

S1m0nR":1xsvwrwz said:
Hi there,

Nice idea - but if you're looking for a reliable and relatively trouble free way of making the commute easier then I can recommend electric as the way forward. A colleague at work has spent the last few years refining the art of making electric folding bikes. We all take the mickey out of him for his laziness but in reality it means he cycles to work a lot more often and in all weather conditions because he knows that it'll not be too difficult.

He imports the motors and batteries from China and builds his own wheels with the motor in the front wheel. There's no legislation to get around except that you're limited to a maximum or 15mph when on the motor alone.

If you're interested to know more I can put you in touch with him as he'll talk about electric bikes until you have to ask him to stop...

Cheers...

I am quite interested in talking to your friend, electric motors seem like a cool option as well. I found this website http://www.dvice.com/2013-7-23/removabl ... -instantly that shows a device soon-to-be available that would be right up my street I think. It seems identical in idea to the Trojan mini motor of the 50s except it uses electricity rather than petrol. Though it looks quite pricey at $1190 which is £741.43 hmm. Yes put me in touch with your friend, I could talk to him about different options

Jake

ebikes are in a strange position, legally. UK regs say max 60kg with "everything needed", 200w constant, or 250w constant for tricycles and tandems. Tandems just need the extra seat, not extra pedals. Max 15mph.

EU regs supposedly overrule UK ones, have the expectation that pedalling is the primary propulsion, but let you go a hair over 15mph because they use Kilometers.

I don't think anyone has got taken to court over this, most of the bikes on sale are built to EU standards not british, and some are very creative mixing and matching which they'd like to adhere to. Ebay is full of Scooters you'd swear were 50-125 cc if it wasn't for the set of pedals sticking out and the licence plate saying "36v". Not to mention it's easy to buy a 1Kw conversion kit promising silly speeds.

It's also worth thinking about that they regulate on constant power. Sorry officer, my 200w motor peaks at 2kw!

My advice, and I'm not a lawyer, is don't worry about it. Keep yourself safe, don't draw attention to yourself, and you'll be fine. Slapping on a 500w motor instead of 200w is no great sin.

Don't know if these are a good idea but re women on forum I'm one!I would say that's unusual and I am a bit of a novelty at local cycle jumbles but always impressed at the complete lack of chauvinism I encounter.

Ideale":q357hi0j said:
Don't know if these are a good idea but re women on forum I'm one!I would say that's unusual and I am a bit of a novelty at local cycle jumbles but always impressed at the complete lack of chauvinism I encounter.

Ditto on lack of chauvinism! It might just be that they want our parts though.... :facepalm:

Found this for you: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/motorised-mou ... 27d8d4fca8

:shock: :shock:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back