NEW NEVER RIDDEN Peugeot Hand Brazed 753 Reynolds Frame!!

robbie1987

Retro Newbie
I have recently been asked by a very good friend to help her sell off a few bits and bobs from her late husbands garage. As a keen cyclist and racing fan I was immediately interested and thought Gumtree would be the way forward, however it was not to be that simple.

As soon as I entered her "Aladdin's Cave" of a garage I soon realised that I was in way over my depth and that the quality and prestige of the frames and equipment that she had far surpassed my expectations and needless to say I now no longer know what I am at.

I have enjoyed researching into what we have uncovered and have decided to use this website to gain further knowledge and hopefully sell the gear for my friend. Unfortnately when it comes to cycling my knowledge stops with both Italy & Carbon, past this and I become a snob that knows nothing about anything. I am devastated to say that only one of the frames fit me, and unfortunately it is not the "cream of the crop."

I have included a few of the images below so that you can advise me on what I have unearthed and if interested make me an offer so that I can turn these into cash. I am aware that the condition in which my bikes are in will make them extremely desirable and I hope that this will be reflected in the value.

The first of the many frames and best in my opinion is the Peugeot Reynolds 753 Hand Brazed Frame. I have researched these through the many forums and have come to the conclusion that this really is a special frame. We also have a 1989 Raleigh 531 Competition Lightweight, it too has never been built and you can see from the images that the original Tag is still attached to the frame.
As soon as I get time I will post more info for the other frames but I think I have the two most important and valuable detailed here.
There are numerous other bits & bobs and a few components but I was planning on keeping these to build up on a Colnago I have my eye on. There are also 2 sets of Mavic Wheels and both of these have never been used one of which even has a Campagnolo 7-speed cassette supplied with it.

As soon as I receive more information on the frames I will post them into the classifieds section.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100297206@ ... otostream/

photostream

Re: NEW NEVER RIDDEN Peugeot Hand Brazed 753 Reynolds Frame!

Hi there,

Those steel frames (the Raleigh and the Peugeot) are both rather lovely. I take it that the two photos with Peugeot frames in them are the same frame, in and out of the box?

The Raleigh is top-spec 531 Competition tubing (as opposed to just standard 531), looks like a very late one from their Lightweights Department. What's the serial number? Should be on the bottom of the bottom bracket and I'd guess it'll start with a W. It may also have a 'GoD' sticker on it attributing it to Gerald O'Donovan (as a designer and/or builder).

The only thing which limits the appeal of the frames is the size - they look huge! I'm guessing the Raleigh is a 25" or even bigger, the Peugeot probably the same.

Where about in the country are you?

Good luck with selling them!

Hey S1m0nR,
Thanks for getting back to me. You are spot-on, the two images of the Peugeot in and out of the box are the same frame. There are a few other frames but none of them seemed as clean as these.

The frame number stamped on the raleigh is as follows: WD9000026

There is another sticker that has a number on the bike: 00255750, I am unsure if this means anything.

The frame is sized as a 64.5cm and you are correct, it looks massive, the only reason I am not going to build it up myself.

Would you have any idea as to what I should ask for them?

Robbie

So the Raleigh is a lightweight division built in March 1989, based on the serial number...

W - Lightweight division built
D - March Built
9 - Year built

It's an absolute beauty, although I think it may even be too big for me, and I'm 6'1" with a 34" inside leg.. :-(

Do you have any further info on components that he had that might be up for grabs?

robbie1987":1kbay3vw said:
Hey S1m0nR,
Thanks for getting back to me. You are spot-on, the two images of the Peugeot in and out of the box are the same frame. There are a few other frames but none of them seemed as clean as these.

There is another sticker that has a number on the bike: 00255750, I am unsure if this means anything.

The frame is sized as a 64.5cm and you are correct, it looks massive, the only reason I am not going to build it up myself.

Robbie

Your best bet is to get them on Ebay with as many pics as possible and worldwide postage offered.
Just a guess but you may be looking at £500 plus for each of them.

robbie1987":3k2obz01 said:
Hey S1m0nR,

Hi again Robbie,

Not sure what the other sticker on the Raleigh means! You said that it still had a tag attached - any chance of a pic of that? Just for my own idle curiosity if you get time.

Pricing and value is a really difficult issue, mainly because they have a limited market due to their size. If it were me I'd start each at £250 on eBay during a free listing weekend with loads of pics and a gushing description and see what happens. I reckon that their value is somewhere between £250 and £500. To give you some idea, a couple of years back I bought a similar Raleigh frame (a near-immaculate 23" Lightweight Division 531 which had been built up and then almost immediately dismantled and stored) for £132 - I was prepared to pay about £150 for it. Yours is a nicer frame and in slightly better condition so is worth more than that.

If you're lucky you'll find two people with long legs and large bank balances who fight among themselves and push the price up over £500 but don't count on it.

Good luck!

Later 80's Raleigh's all had another decal on them with numbers on it, I guess it must be a serial number, as opposed to a frame number...?

Latest posts

Back