Can somebody tell me what model this is?

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
It's a Raleigh made from Reynolds 753 tubing. Mix of Exage Motion, 600, Exage Trail kit, biopace rings. Alesa rims. Dia Compe brakes. Bright greeny/yellow colour.

Imagine it's low to medium end. Just a bit of history might be good. Year, model etc. Guessing '91ish.

Attachments

• IMG_1382 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1382 (Medium).JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,193
  • IMG_1385 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1385 (Medium).JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,193
Good grief, I don't think I've ever seen a frame that big before! What size is it? As it's built of 753 tubing it must have been a relatively high quality frame but no idea which. However, the quality of the fittings doesn't quite match the quality of the tubing. Bit of a puzzle.

Raleigh always seemed to sell big bikes. Remember those black and gold ones that were common in the mid 80's. I can only ever remember seeing 25" ones!

:LOL:

It's 25.5" c-t. Just my size ;)

First road bike I've had in 17 years :shock:

Yes I was thinking the same as you, nice frame shame about the kit, although it's not really crappy stuff. Needs a bit of spit and a polish and it'll come up nicely :D

I remember these - theres still a few round here commuting with riders looking like praying mantis as they ride along.

I did wonder that, but the frame does make the right sort of ping noises and would they have bothered with stickers for the forks? I don't know. Perhaps you're right :roll:

It's got nice lugs - my guess is that someone flogged the frame on and it was then cheaply built up as a commuter...the giveaway would be a couple of little dings in the top tube which would show it's for real...

The Raleigh sticker looks like one from a Randonneur around 1990.

yes - doing some research 753 could only be lugged or fillet brazed - so this might fit in with that?

couple of little dings in the top tube which would show it's for real...
you mean ping it with my fingers or do you mean dents?!

Looking up on Velobase the kit would appear to be 1989/90 ish. What was the Randonneur like?

Had a look at the 1991 catalogue on this site and it looks a lot like this doesn't it - similar spec, similar decals (if in a different place). Could well be 501 I suppose - how do I tell?

Attachments

• Raleigh Elan.JPG
    Raleigh Elan.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 2,154
Back