For Sale: Richmond 531ST - 55cm - £130 - Suntour GPX

walkmanman

Senior Retro Guru
Up for sale is my recently serviced Richmond 7 speed road/tourer bike, with Reynolds 531ST frame and nice Suntour GPX (Shimano 600 lookalike!) part groupset.
It seems the frame was built by Richmond Cycles in, guess, Richmond (East Twickenham to be precise). They clearly made some good frames back in the day, as can be seen from my one with its nice features such as Reynolds 531ST tubing, nice plain lugs with cutouts and Suntour dropouts. And there's also nice detailing like the rear brake bridge reinforcing tangs on either side.
This bike has been my regular commuter bike, since it's such a comfy ride, as well as being a light and nippy get-around. I have just bought a new commuter bike, so now have no need for this older one, so it's up for grabs now. It has been ridden in wet and dry conditions although I have taken good care of it and it has been well maintained (gear shifting and braking performance is accurate/responsive and consistent)- and all bearings have recently been regreased, wheels are true, no rust etc can be found around the steel frame and parts show minimal wear. I've managed to put a few scuffs in the paintwork, but you can hardly tell- there are occasional chips around the frame but I've touched them up, so it still looks very smart.
Straight with no dents. The bike has largely all its original classy parts, but has also benefitted from a few upgrades- the tyres are quality modern tyres, and the saddle is a smart (no rips) comfort one which is vintage but I've recently fitted in NOS condition, so it's virtually unused. Bar tape and cabling is also new, fitted during a recent service done to the bike. The reliable kit (Suntour GPX front and rear derailleurs and shifters, Solida double chainset, Shimano 600 brakes and Dia Compe brake levers) all works predictably nicely. The wheels have the bombproof Weinmann RM19 rims best suited for touring or taking city potholes with ease:) Here is a list of the other parts: ITM seatpost, SR Custom stem and Raleigh bars, Madison G12 comfort saddle, Shimano 7 speed freewheel, Continental Hardshell and Schwalbe Marathon wide section tyres, Sakae bottom bracket and Maillard pedals.
I have renovated this 80s bike to make up what is now a very nice machine.
Frame size is 55cm square, so suits riders of an average height. I will be sorry to see this bike go, but I think it needs to go to someone who will get better use out of it. Anyone viewing the bike is welcome to test ride it before buying. I've priced the bike at £130.
NB I will be able to post, but in the UK only. Probably best to collect from my home in NW London.

Back