steerer questions for tange forks

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i'm looking at a set of tange forks, like the bonty and syncros forks with the bolted crown, i assume the steerer can come out but will a pace steerer tube fit?

the reason i ask is that the steerer on the tange forks is too short but i have an available pace steerer, but it's only worth me buying the bonty forks if the pace steerer will fit.

for the record i can't get my hands on the bonty fork to check.

any ideas?

Easiest way to tell, does the Tange forks use a shim to fit the crown race on? Or does it fit straight onto the steerer?

i don't know, i've never had a Tange fork or bonty etc so i only have a picture to go on.

i was hoping that someone just knew off the top of their head! :LOL:

I had a set until recently (sold it far too cheaply too). If memory serves, mine had a shim which was angled so think that a straight steerer would fit. I could be wrong but I think it will work, as I was considering a 1 1/8 steerer for mine until build plans changed.

so a pace steerer would fit then? i didn't buy them, they were on ebay, thought they'd be good for my bonty

I've got a 1" Pace steerer installed in my Tange Switchblades. I've got a 1" to 1.125" shim though as the crown is the larger size. Works well but the fork blades are too flexible for my liking so they don't get much use. T..

I've had a Marzocchi steerer fit... RST as well. And eventually I ordered a 1" threaded Ti steerer off someone from eBay Germany. If you're handy in shortening a steerer and cutting the grove that holds the circlip so it don't fall out every straight 1" steerer would be good I guess.

I'm in a simalar boat, steerer's are the bain of retrobikers it would seem. My own tale is I bought some great manitou ones. threaded steerer, too short. bought a ti one from ebay germany, the longest they do, cutting the thread off left me just shy of what I need and now I'm waiting for roberts frame builders to come back to work tomorrow and see if they can do me a longer one. thankfully the 1st generation manitous have a steerer held in by big allen bolts so relatively easier to swap than the later forks that are press fitted. If I dont feel its a strong enough join then I may ask them to weld it onto the crown if thats possible.

Its gonna leave me with 2 inch eight steerers to sell. will do that once I have a fix.

One thing to note is the guy in germany offered to cut me a custom length. in hindsight even though it was like 80 euros it might have been cheaper and a better solution than I have at the moment. Grrrr. you live and learn right? ;)

I'd measure the Tange steerer with a vernier. If a Marzocchi or Pace one fits then it will be fine, provided there is enough shoulder to stop it pulling through the crown.

Latest posts

Back