Removing Zig-Zagging from seatposts

agentorange

rBotM Winner
Just thought I'd share this. I'm sure I'm not the first to do it but here's a pretty effective way to remove zig-zagging from seatposts.

Here is an old Campagnolo Nuovo Record post which has what I would call mild zig-zagging all the way up it's shaft. I fix the tube to the end of my drill via some gaffer tape I've bound around a large drill bit, enough to hold the post reasonably tightly. Then spin through the normal stages of wet-n-dry paper. For this I used 250, 500, 800 then 1200. I find it best not to put drill on fast speed as you might chew away more than you need to. Obviously you'll loose that fine Campagnolo machined 'striping' but in most cases you can achieve a very presentable finish. Also, if your zig-zagging is deep then it's probably best not to do this as you'll loose some width & possibly some engraved text.

Before

1W3A7334_zps81c2a9df.jpg

Tape round drill bit

1W3A7341_zpseee4deb9.jpg

Post affixed

1W3A7336_zps1732b976.jpg

During

1W3A7337_zps12969b99.jpg

End result

1W3A7338_zpsb261d015.jpg

1W3A7339_zpscf7ebc6d.jpg

Nice :)

Mind now playing the music from that scene with Demi Moore and Patrack Swayze in "Ghost"...........

Shaun

Be very wise when attempting this! Do not go mad and STOP as soon as you see the marks disappear.

Don't just keep the drill going and doing the sanding but keep stopping and checking - stopping and checking ;)

If the zig-zag marks are deep and you remove the marks you narrow the diameter of the seat post
so a 27.2mm post could go as 27mm and when you fit it back in the frame you will have to tighten
the seat clamp bolt even more, thus stressing the brazed on bolt clamp, I've seen seat posts slide
down the seat tube even though the bolt was fully tightened and the worst seen was a broken clamp :(

Excellent tip which I used last night with success.

The post I was working with was black originally but looked terrible, scratched with deep zig-zagging. Much better now, still has the z-z's but looks so much better.

Thanks for posting!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 288
Mr.Toad":2ok8n8jg said:
Excellent tip which I used last night with success.

The post I was working with was black originally but looked terrible, scratched with deep zig-zagging. Much better now, still has the z-z's but looks so much better.

Thanks for posting!

Oh superb, that's made my day.

Latest posts

Back