Hey, I just got one of these and am trying to figure out what size it actually is. It looks very similar to yours. Do you know if there is anything stamped on the frame that would indicate the size or have any measuring tricks? Kona's catalog geometry seems a bit tricky to me. Also, just curious what your height is that 54cm works for you. Thanks, and love what you've done with your Kapu, wonderful bike.

Hey, I just got one of these and am trying to figure out what size it actually is. It looks very similar to yours. Do you know if there is anything stamped on the frame that would indicate the size or have any measuring tricks? Kona's catalog geometry seems a bit tricky to me. Also, just curious what your height is that 54cm works for you. Thanks, and love what you've done with your Kapu, wonderful bike.
Thanks!

I figured my size based on the top tube length, and the crank length. Top tube measured closer to 55cm, and the cranks are 172.5. I think the larger frames were outfitted with longer cranks. I also compared the head tube length visually with other known Kapu sizes, and it looked too long to be a 52cm.

I am 5'9", or 175cm.

Here are the photos of the stamps on the bottom bracket:

F6012432
PXL_20231204_051116337.jpg

5 and I think a capital "I"
PXL_20231204_050955604.jpg

PXL_20231204_050921924.jpg

Thanks!

I figured my size based on the top tube length, and the crank length. Top tube measured closer to 55cm, and the cranks are 172.5. I think the larger frames were outfitted with longer cranks. I also compared the head tube length visually with other known Kapu sizes, and it looked too long to be a 52cm.

I am 5'9", or 175cm.

Here are the photos of the stamps on the bottom bracket:

F6012432
View attachment 801297

5 and I think a capital "I"
View attachment 801296

View attachment 801295
IMG_2025.jpeg

Here’s the one I just picked up. Also has the 5I stamped in the bottom. Cranks are 170. It was listed as a 56cm, but I don’t think that’s right. Any guesses as to size would be appreciated, and thanks for your response!

What did you do with that Controltech post?
I'm pretty sure I put it on my SM800, based on the decal wear.

Here’s the one I just picked up. Also has the 5I stamped in the bottom. Cranks are 170. It was listed as a 56cm, but I don’t think that’s right. Any guesses as to size would be appreciated, and thanks for your response!
That definitely looks smaller than mine. If you look at the head tube, at the pump peg, yours looks right in the middle between the top and down tubes. Mine is biased towards the top tube, hence a longer head tube. Especially with the shorter cranks to compensate for the shorter wheel base, I think your frame is 52cm or smaller.

When I measure mine based on the '95 catalog geometry, I'm getting closest to 54cm numbers. Not to say I deny your measurements, that's just what I'm finding. I agree my frame is smaller, I noticed the pump nub location as well. I think I've exhausted almost every early Kona Kapu link at this point, lol. Just trying to figure out all the info I can. I'm 5' 10" and it does feel pretty good to me, so I guess the rest doesn't really matter. I do get a bit of toe overlap, so there's that. And maybe the smaller cranks will help my cadence? I haven't had a road bike in so long and it figures I'd go with a mountain bike brand to get back into it. Thanks for rapping with me about these bikes, I really appreciate it. I'll throw that chart up just for reference on the thread...

95 kapu geo.jpg

When I measure mine based on the '95 catalog geometry, I'm getting closest to 54cm numbers. Not to say I deny your measurements, that's just what I'm finding. I agree my frame is smaller, I noticed the pump nub location as well. I think I've exhausted almost every early Kona Kapu link at this point, lol. Just trying to figure out all the info I can. I'm 5' 10" and it does feel pretty good to me, so I guess the rest doesn't really matter. I do get a bit of toe overlap, so there's that. And maybe the smaller cranks will help my cadence? I haven't had a road bike in so long and it figures I'd go with a mountain bike brand to get back into it. Thanks for rapping with me about these bikes, I really appreciate it. I'll throw that chart up just for reference on the thread...

View attachment 801560
Yep, this is the most accurate way to size the frame: bottom to the top of the seat-tube.

Always good to see some Kapu's. Denmark (the importer) went a bit nuts for them in 1995 👍

Yep, this is the most accurate way to size the frame: bottom to the top of the seat-tube.

Always good to see some Kapu's. Denmark (the importer) went a bit nuts for them in 1995 👍
Curious, when I measure from center of BB to top of seat tube, I get 57cm. Center to center of the top tube adjusted length (as per chart) is 55cm, which would read as the 54cm size. 🙃

Back