New Project

Why not try a car paint supplier, they have scanners that will 'look' at the paint and tell you the exact colour.

NeilM":mzzd8wy4 said:
Why not try a car paint supplier, they have scanners that will 'look' at the paint and tell you the exact colour.

Thanks for that, I tend to do cans because I expect to damage paint in a very short time. What I might do is use spray can acryllic for a base colour and then fire up the compresser and apply 2k laquer (which is near bullet proof) as the protection coat. I keep reminding myself the Super Sprint cost 84 quid in 1977 and i've spent nearly that on just the new wheels.

pauln":2b0u37tc said:
I sold my Puch Super Sprint about 20 years ago. I did a deal with the guy I bought it from and its mine again all I had to do was collect it;

You cut his elder bush down :?:

Good luck mate - you're keen, I'll say that :D

The seat tube is now 21" (Decision here Puch did the 21" Super Sprint in Red and the 23" in Purple, do I match the colour to the size?). The Seat tube lug is silver soldered to the seat tube and the top head tube lug to the top tube and this is my geometry check;

These lugs are not as nice as the Puch ones but will do;

On my home made jig to keep things straight and make up the front tubes this weekend hopefully. Rear stays yet to be ordered from Ceeways.

i wish i was that capable, i'd love to be able to do frame mods etc.

while this isn't a type/model of brand i particularly like but i am very impressed with your work. :D

pauln":3nkhwol8 said:
The seat tube is now 21" (Decision here Puch did the 21" Super Sprint in Red and the 23" in Purple, do I match the colour to the size?).

You're chopping the frame like this and you're worried about originality of paint :LOL:

Nice work though and I like the lugs you're using :D

jonnyboy666":17httm14 said:
i wish i was that capable, i'd love to be able to do frame mods etc.

Have a go it's fun, I started by taking the rusted out back end of my Grandads bike and replacing that with one from an old falcon that came out of a skip, result a tribute to my granddad thats a turbo and occasional use bike. I use spirit levels, tape measures and bits of angle iron to jig things up. I silver solder rather than brass braze so I can use lower temps and a map torch for heat. What I really want to do is mitre up tubes and braze up something completely lugless.

while this isn't a type/model of brand i particularly like. :D

I actually agree with you, it's a heavy old thing without much pedigree, but it's part of my life (my first proper bike) and we've covered a few miles together. I got it back cheap and I can't resist the chance to build a bike.

Loving this thread now I've spotted it! Great replies too! Well I like that you're taking a trip back in time but making it right this time, interesting. Although it ended in a mans tree, better than being super proactive and dumping at tip. Great stuff. So basically this bike is as old as me!! Wow.
What I'd say with colour and stuff... What do you want, do you want a Christine style ghost bike in he colour you remember bit or do you want a catalogue style picture perfect of he bike you did want in the colour it should have been? Look forward to seeing it progress.

Latest posts

Back