Sending downtube shifters to hades

Or impossible. If I try and move to a higher gear, it'll make 'orrible noises for five seconds then crunch into the highest one. If I try to move to a lower gear, I get exactly that, a lower gear. Which one though is random.

with no clicks, no one said it would be easy! make sure the levers is tighten enough so its not moving on it's own and the cable is nicely lubed? and that the chain matches the cogs!

Of course the chain matches the cogs, everything on a record sprint is gold. :)

Shifters are nice and tight. I suppose it could do with new cables but I wanted to save that for when I get rid of the shifters.

STI stands for Shimano Total Integration, this means brakes and shifters mounted together as a single unit, IE integrated. Indexed downtube shifters are indexed downtube shifters. STI for a road bike at least, means you are shifting and braking in the same place. Now SIS, is correct for indexed downtube shifters. It just gets really confusing when you call a downtube shifter and STI, because it isn't. Finding six speed indexed Shimano parts is a needle in a haystack kind of find. It was VERY short lived, as the 7 speed norm was coming up fast on it's heels when it was hitting the sales floor.

Edit:someone already beat me to it, oh well

Re above - i think i bought an SIS 6sp mech a couple of months ago and it was easy to find - am i missing something.

Richard

Re my last -

a quick search on ebay revealed a load of SIS 6sp. (search for Shimano sis 6sp or just sis) There are available elsewhere too - i cannot rmember where i got mine though (old age).

Richard

I was mostly going by personal experience. I have probably found, rebuilt, owned or sold close to 200 bikes in the last 8-9 years, and that's not an exaggeration. There were times when I was finding 2-3 bikes a week. The road bikes I have found that are Shimano six speed are many. The ones that were indexed Shimano 6 speed, I could count on less than one hand. Mountain bikes with 6 speed indexed seem to be a little more common. Collectively there may be a lot out there, but in my limited scope there are close to none. The ones that are available new now number in the zero category if I am not mistaken, not counting NOS.

Fair point, the one i bought was NOS and cheap. Perhaps, they built a lot more indexed SIS mechs than were actually put on new bikes as 7sp was introduced.

I am guessing this would have been around 1982 or early 83. And at that time Ultra freewheels were in vogue which would mess spacing up for indexing too.

Apologies if you thought i was being argumentative, that was not my intention.

Richard

I'm finding loads of it but it all looks ancient and low end... Something you'd see on a 90s halfords mountain bike.

Anyway, when the sun comes back up I'll have a look see what kind of braze ons I've got on the frame. That way I know what kind of ajuster doodad I'll need to run bar ends.

Latest posts

Back