OMFG another UPDATE (3) Muddy Fox Courier 1988 in da Purtle

Re: OMFG another UPDATE (3) Muddy Fox Courier 1988 in da Pur

Not for all tastes I know but for riding in the sun, on mixed road / light forest tracks, this guise suits "us" well and the Alltrax are safely stored for 'show'

Those with x-ray vision will also spot the formerly NOS 26.4mm XC Pro seatpost (the original is safely stored too!)

Fat chance of me selling it or swapping for anything with attitude though :roll:

:D

Great bike I have one of these in my shed that I have had since I was a nipper. Most of mine is still original apart from the odd moment of madness (like spraying the forks black and adding bar ends) but your bike has made me really feel like trying to restore it back to as good as possible. Thanks for the memories it was a great MTB and have some real good scars to prove it lol.

Craig73":3qz5n73q said:
Great bike I have one of these in my shed that I have had since I was a nipper. Most of mine is still original apart from the odd moment of madness (like spraying the forks black and adding bar ends) but your bike has made me really feel like trying to restore it back to as good as possible. Thanks for the memories it was a great MTB and have some real good scars to prove it lol.

Craig - nice to hear from a fellow "Huntsman" - get yours out and some pics up. A resto thread maybe?

Also check the anonymous fox lovers thread, there's more...

Recent discovery about my 'odd' bike is that it came entirely with Suntour 4050 mountain group, not 3040 as the catalogue - so mine's a Courier that went to the Sorbonne :LOL:

And :cool:

Odd; I think I prefer it with the black tyres...

...seems to highlight the frame more? :cool:

As soon as I get chance I'll take a few pics and post them up. Did yours come with the original tyres or did you find somewhere that stock them as mine are long gone. Also modified my stem as I found that the front brake cable just rubbed through and snapped.

Craig - cool start a build (or tidy up thread in the bikes<97 section yeh?)

There's a few lovers on here - DrCarlos' name will pop up in threads - probably the best authority we've on here :cool: MrGrumby has a unique skulk :cool: :cool:

the anonymous thread is

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59947&hilit=anonymous+muddy

if you've not found it yet.

And (both of) mine came with Alltrax tyres - the one above had them in virtually unused condition and has been ridden with them, I swapped them out as it is a regular rider.

I've never ever seen any NOS tyres come up anywhere - if you want something similar then Pannie Smoke and Darts are regularly available, Timbuk II's are available stateside (about $100 plus delivery and customs) or different but at least amberwalls (more tan really) are charge splashbacks (try ebay c£10 each)

We_are_Stevo":mf5v08tt said:
Odd; I think I prefer it with the black tyres...

...seems to highlight the frame more? :cool:

Cheers Steve - i like both but as above it reminds me of the purposeful stance you saw on early 90's Stumpies and Hoppers :cool: and with them i'm not afraid to give her some grief on the trails :LOL:

They've a lot of volume for a 2inch tyre and make it quite a comfy ride out too.

Stunning bike buddy. I had the very same BITD. Bought it brand new around 1987/88 from MK Cycles in Bolton, and IIRC it was £300!

Sadly I pretty much rode mine into the ground, (as you do in your teens), but every now and then I still have a mooch to try and find one, but I doubt anyone will ever find one as original and clean as yours was, you're a lucky guy.

I doubt I'd find one big enough TBH, (I'm 6' 5"), but even if it I found one that was close I'd make it do as I'd love one again that much.

Enjoy yours and if I ever find one to restore myself I'll post it up.

smokeysmoo":hdtv1bvu said:
Stunning bike buddy. I had the very same BITD. Bought it brand new around 1987/88 from MK Cycles in Bolton, and IIRC it was £300!

Sadly I pretty much rode mine into the ground, (as you do in your teens), but every now and then I still have a mooch to try and find one, but I doubt anyone will ever find one as original and clean as yours was, you're a lucky guy.

I doubt I'd find one big enough TBH, (I'm 6' 5"), but even if it I found one that was close I'd make it do as I'd love one again that much.

I found this behemoth recently......a 22 1/2 or 23 incher and the top tube is the same length.

Nowhere near as tidy as Archemist's

As I found it,without the original rear derailleur and fork.

9631963214_1edc9a44bd_b.jpg

After a bit of tweaking,it really only needs new cables and bearings greased not bad after 25years.

9871228275_a6d76762ab_b.jpg

smokeysmoo":1y41tn32 said:

Smokey

Nice to hear your back story - most here a fond memories of them - mine original did similar service to yours and saved me three times the cost in bus fares alone!

You did well to get yours for £300 - I'm pretty sure list was £323 and the shops could sell every one they got in.

Keep an eye on ebay as the larger frame sizes do come up and usually go for a song. I've been tempted to buy several for the spares alone.

gregor":33066yaj said:
I found this behemoth recently......a 22 1/2 or 23 incher and the top tube is the same length.

Nowhere near as tidy as Archemist's

As I found it,without the original rear derailleur and fork.

After a bit of tweaking,it really only needs new cables and bearings greased not bad after 25years.

Cheers Gregor - yours is another of the fully lugged frames and with the paw prints at the top of the seat stays - mines just TIG welded (apart from seat post sleeve) and doesn't have the paw prints and has a different gearset too!

All cool mind :D
And

Back