Earliest Orange P7 ?

They ain't tange at all afaik. They are orange's own spec ie probably a far eastern rebadge of a 2nd tier manufacturers tube set. I guess it's a possibility that its one of the big 3 tube sets without branding but I doubt it.

Probably partially explains why even the clockwork (tange infinity) was lighter than the first years p7 until they did the same tube set trick with the c16r.

Having just about recovered from riding the Trans Pennine Way, I went out on the P7 this evening. First time I've ridden it for about seven years. First impressions are it handles really well, stable but also very flickable. On its smooth tyres its pretty quick on tarmac, not far short of my Carbon Scott Scale, though not as comfy on the mix of farm tracks and back roads I took it on.

On road tyres it makes a great urban bike, tough, light (mines about 22lb) and quick, hopefully old enough not to attract unwanted attention. I never feel able to leave my Scott anywhere even when securely locked, its too much of a risk. Pity, as it does mean I don't use it for errands as I would like to. This is the plan I have for my P7, it's a sort of proto hybrid, twenty years old but still better than most of the new stuff out there.

I would add that the lad who had use of the P7 last, did a good job looking after it, the old gears work silently and it shifts perfectly, once I stopped trying to change gear using the brake levers :oops:

The brakes are the one thing I found lacking, I remember them being great, but compared to modern disc brakes they're not so good. Needing a lot more pressure and taking awhile to bite. Could be down to the blocks? I think they are original and may have hardened over the years.

Bevelhead":22xdr3hq said:
The brakes are the one thing I found lacking, I remember them being great, but compared to modern disc brakes they're not so good. Needing a lot more pressure and taking awhile to bite. Could be down to the blocks? I think they are original and may have hardened over the years.

Could be the pads, but old cantis don't really compare to modern discs very favourably. Bit like comparing a drum-braked 350 desmo with an 888 with cast iron discs, if you want a Ducati comparison! ;) What Ducati do you have as a matter of interest?

Cheers,
Andrew

andyz":1siamtkk said:
Bevelhead":1siamtkk said:

Could be the pads, but old cantis don't really compare to modern discs very favourably. Bit like comparing a drum-braked 350 desmo with an 888 with cast iron discs, if you want a Ducati comparison! ;) What Ducati do you have as a matter of interest?

Cheers,
Andrew

Had a few, cut down when I retired, so only got a 81 MHR and a 93 888 SP4 rep now. Got half a dozen other bikes too, a Guzzi, big inch 'Harley', old Harley/Norton café racer, drag bike.. spend my time mostly messing about with old bikes and drinking tea these days..

Bevelhead":1oxewlb2 said:
Had a few, cut down when I retired, so only got a 81 MHR and a 93 888 SP4 rep now. Got half a dozen other bikes too, a Guzzi, big inch 'Harley', old Harley/Norton café racer, drag bike.. spend my time mostly messing about with old bikes and drinking tea these days..

That's funny, I have an Orange P7 and an SP4 too! I'm still saving up to have it re-sprayed. Loads of old British stuff too, but don't want to hijack this thread any more so I'll shut up!

Nice bike and completely agree with earlier comments about the p7. It was the 7th iteration of the prestige style geometry, not the 7th prestige frame. It was not a direct replacement for the prestige and was not made with tange prestige tubing. It was meant to be a bit tougher than the old clockwork and prestige.
Yours is certainly a fairly early p7 but not the earliest from what I can tell. I think they were having frames made before november 94, and I believe the earliest ones to go on sale may have had black stickers.

I've raised the seat and lowered the stem as much as possible and given the old thing a wash and clean. I'll have to fit an original stem soon, or at least one that looks more appropriate (anyonegot suggestion for what to fit?).

I noticed some corrosion at the back of the bottom bracket, which I've treated to stop it getting any worse for now. It shouldn't be a problem, well not for many years anyway, but I know it'll bug me until I do something about it. Don't think I'll be paying £400 to have it nickel plated (though I reckon it wont cost that, as I can get motorbike frame plated for £300). That's something for another day.

Here's a comparison photo of the P7 with my 2007 Carbon Scott Scale.. noticed that the BB height is about 1cm lower on the P7. I haven't weighed them, but feels as though there isn't much in it..

Back