Specialized Sirrus rejuvenated

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Picked up this Specialized Sirrus which didn't appear to be in too bad condition but as always once it's started problems come up and you end up spending as much time fettling as you do on all the other bikes that "won't take long".

As we received it. Why on earth it has blue tape fitted I do not know! Some people; no sense of style....

Blue tape :?

I should have taken before shots but here is the stem after I polished off all the old black anodising. Also fitted shiny bars with traditional curve rather than the black anatomic bars that were fitted.

Looks so much nicer

Didn't want to just replace the stem as the original has Specialized pantographed onto it which is a nice touch. Little bit of a buff required

Chain replaced for a nice new silver KMC. The old one was just rusty, not worn this bike obviously didn't do very many miles probably just left somewhere damp left to rust. Shame.

Brakes were rather rusty, one of the cable adjusters was also seized.

Rusty old springs too

Luckily I had an old set which I had kept for spares (this is why I don't throw things away! Although these parts left over from the renovation can probably be binned)

Refurbed brakes which took ages to rebuild! I'm sure no other bike shop on the planet would go to the same lengths....

Springs donated too. All good, just need another adjuster....

Bike stripped back to frame only. Good t-cut and polish and it's looking lovely in it's Ferrari red paint job.

Pictures don't really do it justice

New stainless steel bolts for the bottle cages will not rust!

New classic looking tyres; Michelin Dynamic Classic, 25c for a little more comfort too.

Probably still the original grease

All cleaned up nicely + new sleeve and bearings

All fitted with Teflon grease, only to find that even with new bearings and grease it was a little rough....

So out it came and this little used sealed unit went in

Forgot to take a before pic but the chainset cleaned up nicely

It's not perfect though

Can't do anything about missing paint....

SAM_4059.jpg

The gel had completely deteriorated in the old saddle and was the wrong shape for the era of this bike. I found this saddle in the spares bin which is much more suitable albeit a Turbo would have been my first choice but budget does not allow.

Mechs weren't too bad to begin with

Rear is in particularly good condition

White, tacky, tatty hoods have no place on this bike!

Brand new black replacements are the order of the day

Much better!

Apart from the rusty bolts levers are good

New bolts = all good

Tatty old silver outers will not find their way back onto the bike

Levers and cables fitted, bars cleaned, ready for taping.

New Deda perforated tape + a search through the parts bin found these Specialized bar ends.

All done. Just needs final checks, clean, etc but you can appreciate the transformation. A stunning bike indeed!

And a reminder of how it looked prior to refurb:

As a road newbie that is lovely and pretty much exactly what I want to find. Good photos too

There's something about steel Specialized road bikes. I might just be getting misty-eyed about "American Flyers" but I would love one of these.... :shock: You've done a lovely job on that, nice to see someone going to the effort on a cro-mo 105 bike. It's not as if everything needs Dura-Ace.

Latest posts

Back