1989 Raleigh Banana Team Bike - Dave Rayner

Thanks DoubleDee, I'm not looking for freebies, I did already measure the bolt, and buy a generic bolt off t'web but the pitch was nothing like.

very sorry , Ive rummaged and found nothing, Ive got an old SR one but thats chewed up too. I also had a good look at Campyoldy and Hilary Stone and found nothing there. I hope you find one
DD

A final mystery....

I've been over to agree where all the decals should go on the bike, it's scheduled for completion later this week.... I took some more "before" pics

Whilst doing this we spotted in the bright lights, that there are two marks in the head tube - where the Raleigh badge would go. But these holes look like they have been filled and painted ?

I'm reasonably confident the bike has never been repainted, so why would they go to the trouble of drilling holes in the frame, then filling them before painting ?

Looking back at pics from that period the badges are the metal ones, not transfers, so it's still my intention to go for a metal one, indeed I've taken already taken the studs off a badge in readiness for fitting.

Finally I did take some pics of Chris Walkers's Banana Falcon
from 1991, which has exactly the right balance of pattina for my taste, and is what I'm aiming for.

Attachments

• photo(4).JPG
    photo(4).JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 525
  • photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 525
  • photo(2).JPG
    photo(2).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 525
  • photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 525
Wow it's looking great. When finished are you interested in meeting up with me and Dave's 88 bike for a photo shoot and a ride. Would be great to compare and I might even let you have a go on mine!

Wow it's looking great. When finished are you interested in meeting up with me and Dave's 88 bike for a photo shoot and a ride. Would be great to compare and I might even let you have a go on mine!

Hi Tim,

That's a cracking idea, I'd be well up for it. Have you ever had the head badge off your bike ? Still intrigued by the drill and fill :)

Thanks Tim - perhaps it's because yours kept falling out that mine got filled !

A stuck on metal badge is the plan, and that's going to be the 'final' thing I do.

The Bygone Bykes Classic Show is back on again - in November. I'll post details soon.

This would look REALLY good there!

So having decided not to do the vertical stripes, when it was in the workshop it was clear there were indentations for them, so they went on !

How good does the saddle look now ?

To me - it just looks "right"

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 389
That's great really great! Following in your footsteps Maggie has my white Reydel GTI saddle that she is changing to black, she's also got her artwork guy to make the GTI stencils then she will airbrush on in white. I'll post in my Vitus KAS thread when I get it back, and the cost? £45 all in as no colour matching is required. Thanks for posting the link :) Darren

Latest posts

Back