I'm impressed with myself

The History Man":2qy8ornu said:
It's simple maths...........

Well yes, but there are some variables that can be a little more complex to factor in.

For example, calories in vs calories out. Well variances in digestion, can mean some people absorb more from what they consume, than others. In addition, metabolic rate can vary, so the expenditure can vary, too.

In general, they are estimated as rough guides, by some simple maths, as you put it, or calculators on websites.

The History Man":tjkw4uv9 said:
So it's simple maths............... Burn more than you absorb/put in

The nuts and bolts is always easy.

So far, I've never seen anything that's suddenly rendered conservation of energy as being defeated by the human digestive / metabolic system.

It's things like hormone response, and behaviourism that adds an awful lot of complexity to the situation.

Which is why such simple maths, still hasn't rendered obesity a thing of the past.

True but all that is a luxury explanation due to of availability of excess. Only my opinion.

The History Man":2ytmw1b1 said:
True but all that is a luxury explanation due to of availability of excess. Only my opinion.

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as that...

If all that mattered was the nuts and bolts of it, and simple maths, it wouldn't be a challenge for anybody. But it isn't and it is.

Ignoring some of the most significant and difficult to address factors, isn't making excuses for lack of willpower and discipline - it's recognition that behaviourism and some other complex factors can have major bearing that some would like to dismiss or hand-wave about because it doesn't square with their preconceived bias.

Surely it's simple, if you put in more than you give out you''ll get fat, if you give out more than you put in you'll lose weight whether you exercise or not, in the end a good sensible balanced diet with a bit of exercise will loose you weight if you over excess your weight increases, if you maintain your input your weight stayed the same, surely it's not rocket science :D

Alison

Isaac_AG":2eyv7vq8 said:
Surely it's simple, if you put in more than you give out you''ll get fat, if you give out more than you put in you'll lose weight whether you exercise or not, in the end a good sensible balanced diet with a bit of exercise will loose you weight if you over excess your weight increases, if you maintain your input your weight stayed the same, surely it's not rocket science :D

Alison

I'm not claiming it's rocket science, but there are always complicating factors. If behaviourism could be denied, obesity wouldn't be at the levels it's at.

There are other factors too - hormonal response and partitioning - some people, with surplus calories will be naturally predisposed to gain some muscle / LBM and little fat, whereas in others it can be a completely different outcome - and similar when in calorie deficit.

Neil":13hwyk3i said:
Isaac_AG":13hwyk3i said:

Alison

I'm not claiming it's rocket science, but there are always complicating factors. If behaviourism could be denied, obesity wouldn't be at the levels it's at.

There are other factors too - hormonal response and partitioning - some people, with surplus calories will be naturally predisposed to gain some muscle / LBM and little fat, whereas in others it can be a completely different outcome - and similar when in calorie deficit.

I know you are very intellegent, and feel I'm probably making a fool of myself but firstly what's LBM then:

I'm not sure what your saying, that hormonal factors effect your weight? is that just not as much as an excuse as "I'm big boned" seriously deprived people no matter their hormones are not fat, I starved to the point that I nearly lost my teeth, I could not swallow due to the ulcers, I was living on two slices of white bread, the cheapest, a day and the odd pancake made with cheap white flour and water as a treat, I was passing out many times as I walked through town and at college and kept making excuses. no amount of hormones would have helped, I was close to death before I asked for help :roll:

Alison

Isaac_AG":2yo32be7 said:
Neil":2yo32be7 said:

I know you are very intellegent, and feel I'm probably making a fool of myself but firstly what's LBM then:

I'm not sure what your saying, that hormonal factors effect your weight? is that just not as much as an excuse as "I'm big boned" seriously deprived people no matter their hormones are not fat, I starved to the point that I nearly lost my teeth, I could not swallow due to the ulcers, I was living on two slices of white bread, the cheapest, a day and the odd pancake made with cheap white flour and water as a treat, I was passing out many times as I walked through town and at college and kept making excuses. no amount of hormones would have helped, I was close to death before I asked for help :roll:

Alison

LBM - Lean Body Mass.

What I'm saying about variances in hormonal response, I'm talking about variances in how peoples' bodies react to food - how that can affect hormones that regulate appetite; how they react to excess, or deficit - is there any predisposition as to where excess may be partitioned (eg muscle, bodyfat), or where, preferentially, deficit may get used.

So are you saying if I or anybody else doesn't eat I won't necessarily get thinner?

Back