Moving to aheadset

Simm31

Dirt Disciple
Guys,

To give me more options on my one inch orange head tube...

What would I need to consider for moving to Aheadset?

Aheadset head set on inch, clearly

Stem...

New handle bars?

Let me know of any place selling nos stock bargains as the quill looks a bit old now plus moving to aheadset will give me more optios for the pace rc35 steerer tube

You will need a new steerer tube for your forks, along with a new headset and stem. Spacers might be required as well to get your stem at the right height. If you can get your existing grips off without ruining them, great, otherwise new grips too.

Why not just get an ahead stem adaptor off ebay? They're 10 quid. You put the adaptor in the steering tube just like did the downpart of a quill stem, tighten it up in the same way, and that's it - you now effectively have an ahead stem bike.

stem-adapter-1104-p.jpg

All as above, both great suggestions.

As for your query on handlebars, if you get a new (Ahead) stem you can either go for the traditional clamp size for a 25.4mm handlebar diameter or the more modern, beefier 31.8mm.

For an older Orange (not sure which year/model/size you've got), if you want to keep it a bit more original I'd be more inclined to stay with 25.4mm size with a nice Syncros/ControlTech/Orange SK9 stem, for example.

If your Orange is a 19" model (C-T) you'll need a threadless steerer of 190mm or above.

:D

Back