WANTED: 26" Wheel Bike for 10 year old - PLEASE HELP!

largeruk

Retro Newbie
Hi to all

I'm really hoping someone out there can help me in my search for a good quality bike (Islabike Beinn etc) for a single parent struggling to match a tight budget with the above aspiration..!

My daughter is 10 - about 143cm tall, quite slim and light for her age. In her early years, she had a succession of cheap, secondhand, pretty heavy, no gear bikes that all served a purpose but for her 9th birthday I managed to find a secondhand MX20 that I could afford.

After her previous bikes, she's really loved having a lighter (although still relatively heavy - for her) bike with gears that she can really enjoy. However, she's (inconveniently and expensively! :roll: ) put on a growth spurt and now needs a much bigger bike. Frankly, she looks a bit ridiculous riding around on what now looks like a very small bike even with the seat post at its highest!

Her inside leg is c.62cm so perhaps even a very small adult bike with a 13" frame would be in the right sort of ballpark? I initially thought a 24" bike would be big enough but I now reckon a 26" one she's both ready for and can "grow up with", so to speak.

I'm having real difficulty finding a suitable bike (lightweight, geared, good components etc) for her. I've tried eBay, Gumtree, local bike shops and local ads - all to no avail so far. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas or perhaps even have a bike themselves that they or their child(ren) no longer need that would fit the bill...?

All suggestions/ideas/recommendations/bike offers very gratefully received.

Many many thanks to all who respond... :)

PS. I'm based in SW London but am also often in West Yorkshire

Small Konas definitely would fit - built one up like that for my son a few months ago. I had to wait a fair while for one to appear.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have a 15" park pre frame going up for sale very soon just need to strip the bike down as im 5ft 6 and its way too small for me so might fit a child lol

Back