I prefer working on bikes than riding them - is that wrong??

Re: I prefer working on bikes than riding them - is that wro

Sunday in Hell, I just recently saw this film, for years it was not available in the US but thanks to the Internets...

Each to their own i say.

lewisfoto":1pmqyvmf said:
Sunday in Hell, I just recently saw this film, for years it was not available in the US but thanks to the Internets...

That whole intro is just magic. A real view of the mechanics passion, dedication and contribution to the ever so played cyclist stardom. Sound and sights of proper metal, using a paintbrush and showing skills with a hammer - no faffing with gizmo torque wrenches. Bloody great bike stand too!

Nothing wrong with it at all. As already mentioned they are to different past times. I equally enjoy both, there is something very satisfying make / repairing something by hand, there is also something about riding hard & pushing my limits off road that's equally enjoyable. Despite that I hate braking / having to fix my bikes (especially my commuter) I'd much rather be riding them so I tend to have a project bike (currently an Orange Prestige) which I can tinker with without having to worry about getting it fixed so I can go riding, I also help out with the Bristol Bike Project using my bike tinkering skills to help others, perhaps there is a similar charity where you live.

Whatever floats your boat, at the end of the day the bike is still being looked after and loved. Better than it just getting binned.

Personally I enjoy both activities. :D :LOL: :facepalm:

toaster999":1koc2or8 said:
I don't think so. Maybe.

No not at all

i will pm you a long list of stuff that needs doing, cassette changes, paint touch ups, fork oil changes, wheel truing... the list is seemingly endless!

I like both aspects of it. I love being out riding but I also love working on them. its all about working on them, making them your own and setting them up for your use. anyone can get on a bike and ride but to ride it to its true potential you have to work on them.

by the way Im not an expert mechanic :LOL: . Im only now learning a lot of things. (have only just learned gear adjustment properly :oops: ) but working on them gives me something to do when I cant ride. the 2 go hand in hand.

Not wrong at all. Quality shed time is as precious as time out on the hill or road.
I only get worried when bikes become "too valuable to ride". I've never seen a Ducati Desmo 350 on the road. When I was 17 it was my iconic motorcycle and I'm now in my 50s. The darned things are all in collections. There is probably a retrobike equivalent? I have no problem with 90% shed and 10% riding (sometimes it is unavoidable with old bikes) but Massimo Bordi and Joe Murray designed dynamic objects. As long as they see the sun and the rain at some point and the wheels get a chhance to go round it's cool. Its what they were made for.

There are garage queens which never get ridden - that is such a shame as a bicycle is such a simple device when compared to other collectible modes of transport, a few rides wont harm them.

All my bikes get ridden hard, one was doing 30 miles a day through the winter, poor thing! But now, they are all fixed, fettled, finished... I've nothing to do!

So I enjoy both but am in a bit of a lull.

HOORAY :D
I too prefer the building aspect to the riding though after being off the bike for a few years due to injury i realize that you really need to do both
The mechanical side of things stimulates your brain with problems to be solved. With older bikes its thinking outside the box thats important and thats excellent for mind development
After my fall and a few years down the line my health isnt too good. Not fatal or anything :LOL: its just that i now know that we need our bikes to keep our physical health strong.

PS
One project at a time ;) A bike to ride and one to build. When the build is finished you take the pics and then sell it or split it and buy another frame to project on.

PPS
It is pointless to keep so many bikes especially if theyre just garage queens or just bikes its unlikely youll ever use past a quick jaunt around the park. Do you feelthat owning 10 or 20 makes you special?

Take it from me, the VAST majority on here are 'Special' :shock: :shock: :LOL: :LOL:

Back