how to get out of debt?

I dont give a monkeys what I do at work, so long as I'm happy. Often those who get sniffy are those lower down on the totem than they would have you think.

I got a job that doesn't make any use whatsover of my Masters, and doubt I ever would - bottom line is work fills bellies and keeps roof's over heads. Anyone who thinks its anything to do with social standing etc is either very wealthy and probably doesn't need to work anyway, or a pompous chump.

If she's left with £100k after selling the house and clearing her debts it really is a no brainer, isn't it? :roll:
So what if it won't buy a broom cupboard? It's a very healthy deposit to put down on somewhere once she's got a job, and without a job she has no chance of re-mortgaging...
You're thinking of helping her financially?
You mug!

highlandsflyer":2t5odf9r said:
I hope she is not getting benefits with 100k equity in a property.
She will do. A friend had a good amount in his and when he was made redundant they paid 2/3 of his mortgage and got JSA. They did query the amount of cash he had in the bank (and by query I mean dragged him in for an investigation!), fortunately he had the sense to transfer his share portfolio into another name before they found that as well.

It's a fncking crime that if you have over £16k (iirc) in assets they want you to pay for yourself. Those who have saved fnck all get the lot and those who put away have to spend their nest egg before they give anything out. Those being the same people who are taxed multiple times so the dafties get their easy money.

Sell the house. My friend just bought a 2 bed flat in Ayr for £21k. A week of work and it's home reported at £45k. Job done. It's no palace but when you're in a hole stop digging.

FluffyChicken":1phy0zm5 said:
Sell up and move somewhere much cheaper ?
if she sells up;will she even be able to rent a place?
no dhs no pets no smokers;;;;;;;;;;loads of other conditions
best of luck to any one in dept;not quiet been there but saild close by

technodup":2cfhed44 said:
It's a fncking crime that if you have over £16k (iirc) in assets they want you to pay for yourself. Those who have saved fnck all get the lot and those who put away have to spend their nest egg before they give anything out. Those being the same people who are taxed multiple times so the dafties get their easy money.

£25,000 in Scotland, IIRC, £17,000 in the rest of the UK... :xmas-wink:

kenaltobelli":hh5se3qv said:
if she sells up;will she even be able to rent a place?
no dhs no pets no smokers;;;;;;;;;;loads of other conditions
best of luck to any one in dept;not quiet been there but saild close by

if my sums are correct, she ends up with 100 k so should be able to buy a 1 or 2 bed flat, ideally 2 since 1 room could be let. renting a place is something you should onlky do if you canot afford to buy your own.

suburbanreuben":1942ssg4 said:
technodup":1942ssg4 said:

£25,000 in Scotland, IIRC, £17,000 in the rest of the UK... :xmas-wink:
Work and Pensions isn't devolved so I can't see why there would be any difference. And I'm sure 'my friend' would have been just as pissed off if it was £25k.

Offshore and out of sight FTW. Stick your tax grab Mr Cameron.

02gf74":8wpvmudo said:
renting a place is something you should onlky do if you canot afford to buy your own.
Not necessarily. If values are dropping it makes perfect sense to rent until the market is more conducive to buying. Short selling houses is no different to anything else.

Not that that is particularly helpful in the case in point.

Isaac_AG":aewnqxkf said:
:shock: oooh you are severe aren't you?

So is a situation like this.

Whist Chopper is spot on there is a well know phrase about horses and stable doors.

Back