Parkpre Comp Limited Build Thread..............

1997BlackC5

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I bought the frame off ebay a couple of months ago, don't know why really, just that I was looking for something as a base for a new build. I was after something a bit different, spmething steel, hard tail, something you don't see too many of, so I guess Parkpre kinda fitted the bill. I have done a little research & realise that its not exactly 'high end' Parkpre, but I like that, it has an honesty about it, also from a build point of view Parkpre bikes seemed to have offered various different spec's for the same frame, so I can go my own way a bit with the build & it will still be a 'Parkpre'. A lot of the items such as stem, saddle, seat post etc were PFR (Parkpre Factory Racing) & you just can't buy them now days, especially over here in the UK so I thought I'd go with the manufactures who's stuff I like, after all it is 'my' bike. Forks, I thought about old school second hand Rock Shox but these are NOS RST's & I figured a second hand set of used Rock Shox would probably not be that much better than a NOS set of RST's, besides, the RST's looked nice ;-). Anyway here are some pictures to be getting on with.......

So frame back from powder coaters, titanium was a hard colour to match so we have gone with a titanium/olive green, which I am happy with & it certainly freshens up the frame.

26.6 seat post with a 30.6 seat post clamp (proved harder to find) seems to me salsa are one of the few makes that manufactures seat post clamps outside of the normal 3 standard sizes.....

Gil m supplied the stickers & I was able to reuse some of the old ones, using double sided carpet fitters tape where they had lost their stickiness.

Wheels & tires purchased from Retrobikes sales forum in a very smooth transaction with 'Brother' obviously a member on here who, I would like to add, was a pleasure to do business with.

Now I have to decide what front & rear mech to get, was thinking about XT but will have to see. I have a very nice set of DX canti's that I intend to run, I still need a seat & some grips, jury's out on bar ends as the Easton bar is not the widest bar I could have put on it but I think it suits the build. I may possibly get some Charge Splash Backs to replace the tires on at the moment but we will have to wait and see how things progress. I was thinking, maybe some club Roost grips (bit of a sucker for club Roost gear) probably due to my age, anyway I hope you like what I have done so far....I will update as the build takes shape..............

Good start.. I think it would look great with full DX groupset, i know it pre dates the frame but the silver will compliment the stem and bars etc. Failing that maybe M737 if you're feeling posh? :cool:

Rich

Well after the sunshine we have had all day today I managed to get some more done to my Parkpre. We now have grips, Onza, we now have stopping power, DX canti's & we now have a bottom bracket & some cleaned up STX RC cranks.......All being well I hope to have the chain on & gears working tomorrow.....

Parkpre Comp Limited build thread...........FINISHED!

Wanted to get this one finished in the sunshine this morning. First things first though, I had to swap out the rear cassette as the new chain was slipping on the 'old' cassette. The cassette came with the wheels so I thought I'd give it ago rather than just buying a new cassette. Anyway I went for a 12 32t cassette. Swapped out this morning, retuned the gears & she is now ready for the ride into work Monday morning, just hope this weather holds out;-)

Here are the pictures.....

I'll be interested in people's opinions as you don't tend to see many Parkpre's around these days, I also appreciate that there are no PFR parts used in this build, but finding that kind of gear, even in the USA is gonna be pretty much impossible. But, hay, always on the look out for the old PFR stem or seat / seat post etc........

Back