How do modern XC hardtails compare with retrobikes?

Perhaps I should have been more specific with my question, regarding the handling, I am aware they have front suspension this will affect it, put if you pitted a top class retro xc against a top class current xc - Would any of the bikes abilties be similar?

Chopper1192":2mr09dg6 said:
That's certainly true of a typical modern trail HT lgf, but modern XC hard tails aren't as far removed from our mid 90s datum as their less focused modern trail brothers. I'm not sure everyone making the distinction between a modern all round trail ht, and a sharper XC ht, which are different animals indeed.

The funny thing is, there was no such thing as an XC hardtail back in the day and the OP used an Explosif and Zaskar as examples of old bikes and neither of those bikes were seen as a strict race bikes BITD. Hans Rey spent most of his earlier days throwing his Zaskar off big rocks and doing DH races! It was a whole different beast to the likes of a Ritchey P22 or a Chas Roberts 753 'Peugeot'.

It is funny that I had the similar conversation with a mate I was riding with at the weekend. I was riding my 'modern' Specialized Stumpy Evo hardtail and he was on a few year old Kona. Ok so mine was a 29'r compaired to his 26 and he felt it out rode his in every department when we swapped. That was with about four years age difference between the bikes. But if I compair it to say one of my M2's, there is no way I could ride as fast or far on the M2. But, I enjoy riding the M2 for what it is. To be fair I treat it more carefuly as I care about it so don't go mad, the modern bike is more of a tool to me.

So in essence I'd say yes a modern HT is a better all round ride. Is it more fun, not really, I think its just different. Easier to ride, definatly. I do feel a bit more beat up after riding a vintage bike, but always come home with a grin.

What was the question again?? :facepalm:

I was forced into borrowing a mates Santa Cruz 29er on a trip to Wales recently (as the pivot bearings on my full sus superlight gave up :roll: ).
After a days riding at Brechfa, I can honestly say that it's the best bike I've ever ridden. I've since sold my full sus and ordered a 29er hardtail :oops:
Comparing this to say my 1997 Orange Vit T is like chalk and cheese though.
The modern bike was heavier, but climbed better and would walk over the Orange downhill.
However, when I ride my retro bikes on my usual trails, I always finish with a bigger grin than when riding modern.
It simply tests your skills more, and I love riding them quicker than my friends on their modern bikes :D

Ruffnek":37auhcwn said:
Perhaps I should have been more specific with my question, regarding the handling, I am aware they have front suspension this will affect it, put if you pitted a top class retro xc against a top class current xc - Would any of the bikes abilties be similar?

Ahh now you are quantifying.

My modern is set up in the same do it all XC general what i did /alway done on my bikes.
Saddle height is the same as is the reach to the bars, gearing etc. And it does perform better, more stable handling ad more "performance" (easier more stable corneringsay) for less brain and body strain. It is also surprisingly comfy too, but as much as i love it (despite the Ritchey "wet look" seatpost loosing it's coating and slipping constantly after 100 miles of use) i do stilla he a glut of retro bikes i love too! (it nice to know if the weather is grotty i can hose it down and not wear about rim wear, making sure my chain si spotless and my cassette is'nt wearing too much!)

makster":37auhcwn said:
I was forced into borrowing a mates Santa Cruz 29er on a trip to Wales recently (as the pivot bearings on my full sus superlight gave up :roll: ).
After a days riding at Brechfa, I can honestly say that it's the best bike I've ever ridden. I've since sold my full sus and ordered a 29er hardtail :oops:
Comparing this to say my 1997 Orange Vit T is like chalk and cheese though.
The modern bike was heavier, but climbed better and would walk over the Orange downhill.
However, when I ride my retro bikes on my usual trails, I always finish with a bigger grin than when riding modern.
It simply tests your skills more, and I love riding them quicker than my friends on their modern bikes :D

indeed :D

Well I ride a 2010 Genesis frame and I'm building a 97 Lava Dome , all I can say is the Genesis is nigh on a carbon copy (well steel copy) of the Lava Dome, as far as geometry goes they are nearly the same too , it's just the modern one will cope with longer forks and brakes that work.
How do they compare then I'd say they are very similar and it all boils down to how you set them up as to how different they are .
Matthew

Back