I like it A LOT, but is it a Zaskar?

mikee":aywfsft8 said:
To be honest the zaskar is not a lot lighter than the other alloy frames in the range
So they all ride like that ,near enough

Then I stand by my puzzlement! This bike is much than I expected.

I dont think its a 1993 model.

Downtube cable stops are different, cable guide by the seat is a riveted titanium jobbie - you have to see the frame in person to check. 'Mavic Equipped' chainstay models come later, 1994 or 1995 onwards

genuine '1993' Zaskar with '94 decals:

file.php

Here is a later frame matching yours (ignoring the car paint job) but with a single bolt gear hanger

purpleness_949.jpg

as for riding, early Zaskars are hand built in the USA and the ride is totally different to an Avalanche or some such.

gt_avalanche_commuter_445.jpg

legrandefromage":1zzh4nag said:
I dont think its a 1993 model.

Downtube cable stops are different, cable guide by the seat is a riveted titanium jobbie - you have to see the frame in person to check. 'Mavic Equipped' chainstay models come later, 1994 or 1995 onwards

Ant reckons its a 94, based on cable guides on the down tube. Normally the serial number would be the way to tell of course...

as for riding, early Zaskars are hand built in the USA and the ride is totally different to an Avalanche or some such.

The impression I get from this bike so far is overwhelming liveliness - It really wants to accelerate. Of course so much depends on fit, tyres, width of bars, etc.

Antfox":1q7io1fy said:
Where did you find the info about missing ser numbers of a frame ?

The implication that missing sn = un-issued team frame? It came up a couple of times buried in a huge amount of crap in the google searches I tried. One of them was a post on here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40095

My Xizang has no serial number on it. I got the frame of a friend in 2000 who owns a bike ship in Chicago, who got it from the local GT wholesaler when they had a clearance sale. The only identification on the frame was 3 letters (initials?) written in felt tip pen on the top tube. My friend seemed to think it was an un-issued team frame.

legrandefromage":3frwaqcn said:
genuine '1993' Zaskar with '94 decals:
You shure those are '94 decals? I bought a Zaskar in '96 and it had the same decals.

07.%201996%20-%20GT%20Zaskar%20LE,%20the%20Proflex%20didn't%20ride%20very%20well,%20so%20I%20went%20back%20to%20the%20Zaskar.%20Never%20regretted%20it.jpg

I also had a '93 Zaskar, but that got stolen and I replaced it with an Avalance. It pretty much rode the same. At least, I couldn't tell the difference between it and the Zaskar.

they could be later decals - I bought them off ebay in 2003!

As for Zaskars and 'other' GT frames, I had the Avalanche and the two Zaskars all built up side by side and the difference commuting was very noticeable - the Zaskar had more of twang where the avalanche felt dead

have you got any plans to upgrade the bike purplefrog? its worthy! groupset, forks etc. decals?

Latest posts

Back