School of Hard Knocks ?

From what I remember there are 2 routes to becoming a teacher. The first is to do a 4 year teaching degree course, the second is to do a 'regular' 3 year degree and then a 1 year PGCE course.

Having gone through Uni myself I, like many of my course mates am now doing a job that bears no relation to my degree course. To me my degree is a basic measure of being able to stick at something and having a certain amount of discipline to see it through. Had I decided to go the PGCE route, my teacher training would have been 1 year, not 4 as per the other route. I therefore fail to see what all the fuss is about. Surely being in the Forces gives you the discipline, and you stick at that for a minimum of 5/6 years (someone please correct me if I am wrong)?

lumos2000":plesuwn8 said:
having been to a military school where all the teachers are ex something or other I recon this is a really bad idea.
Having been to a school run by sandal wearing (quite literally), Hilman Imp driving tweed jacket toting lefties, and hence having left with feck all qualifications and spending years of my own time and money catching up, I think it's a superb idea.

Especially if they're taught the difference between dyslexia an insolence.

Ovlov raises an interesting point - ex forces tend to no one of two ways. Some rebel totally against the routine and the bullpois as become right scruffy gits, though re bulk are generally quite disciplined with everything from tidiness to timekeeping, and are generally pretty good at doing what they're told instead of answering back or complaining to their union because they're being made to work.

Another interesting point of my own - a technical degree is usually obsolete within 5 years unless you remain in research, auch as post doctoral etc, so someone my age with a degree two decades old is probably no better equipped than someone of similar intelligence without such a parchment, yet the former would still be the preference when it comes to becoming a teacher.

my uncle was a pti in the navy, he now teaches sport. this is probably the one subject that would benefit from the proposed ideas, though I don't see why anyone should benefit more or less than anyone else because of their previous occupation. if we are trying to create a world of fairness why should we treat one person different from another.

highlandsflyer":1ltvl24z said:
I was offered a council flat back in the 80s as I worked for the NHS in Southwark.

Kick myself now, as the block they were in was sold to a developer and now they are all worth stupid money.

Such is life.
Lynton Road?

lumos2000":1iqf1jhf said:
my uncle was a pti in the navy, he now teaches sport. this is probably the one subject that would benefit from the proposed ideas, though I don't see why anyone should benefit more or less than anyone else because of their previous occupation. if we are trying to create a world of fairness why should we treat one person different from another.
I agree. Why should non forces citizens benefit from the hard work and sacrifice of those who do serve. National service would level that playing field.

Of all those against the idea - I'm ambivalent myself - who has actually served in the forces?

When my son is back from Jordan I'll be interested in his opinion, I think he'll say he has no more right to being educated and getting work as anyone, not my influence I've been failing that for years, since he was 16 to be exact :)

Alison

No, Deptford. I worked in Southwark and lived with a group of lesbians in Deptford, and was offered a flat next to them purely because I worked for the NHS, (the housing workers reckoned I was gay; that didn't hurt, (unlike actually being gay)). Bumped me to the top of the Q. 19 years old, the world was at my feet. One of my pals is making over 100k now and still living in his council flat in Barnsbury. I am heavily critical of him for it, there are plenty people in need.

Is this in any way to sort out the problem of so many members of the armed forces coming out with little job prospects and homelessness, rather than getting better teachers?

Alison

Chopper1192":3p8p6m7q said:
lumos2000":3p8p6m7q said:
I agree. Why should non forces citizens benefit from the hard work and sacrifice of those who do serve. National service would level that playing field.

Of all those against the idea - I'm ambivalent myself - who has actually served in the forces?

probley a matter of opinion, but in this day and age how do civies benefit from people who serve? i cant see how they make any difference to my life.

Back