Retro Music

I've sorted the CD Ripper concept with a proper wikipedia article to explain it. Though the terms and technicalities seem confusing at first you will be surprised on how understandable they really are!

Best regards! :)

Yes, well... thanks, i read the Wiki bit - very interesting indeed. What does it mean?????

The youtube link makes it a bit clearer but this process is over complicated for my small mind! When they say 'rip' do they mean removal of the data (music) to the computer or to another place?

Richard

"Rip" is a aggressive term to describe the process of reading the audio information contained in a CD to a digital audio format.

The most straight forward program to convert your CDs to Audio files is Easy CD-DA Extractor (version 12). It's as simple as installing the program, popping a CD inside your CD/DVD drive, pressing "convert files" button and watch the program do it's magic. You might want to fiddle with output format options (e.g.: MP3 320kbps or FLAC Compression level 5) but it's very intuitive, trust me! :)

Ok, thanks - so once i have ripped the files i need to use another program to copy it to the iPod? I am wondering on timescales for all this - the youtube clip seemed to take a while to get one disc done.

Richard

My weapon of choice to listen and manage my music is Winamp. The latest version enables you to sync your music with ipod and it's practically automatic as this video demonstrates:

http://blog.winamp.com/2009/03/11/how-t ... ng-winamp/

As i said before, i haven't tested other programs however, i decided to rip "Green Day - Warning" as a hypothetical example.

- First Test > Mp3 (Near CD Quality):

Time elapsed: 00:02:01
Speed: 20.45x
Number of tracks: 12
Priority boost: 0 (this means that hardware wasn't boosted to complete the process)

- Second Test > FLAC (compression level 5 default):

Time elapsed: 00:01:37
Speed: 25.15x
Number of tracks: 12
Priority boost: 0 (this means that hardware wasn't boosted to complete the process)

My optical drive specifications:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6827106265

Back