Hayfever?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
How do you know she's got ?

My 11 year old sneezes so much, my step dad had hayfever he'd sneeze throughout the spring/summer but also he'd have a runny nose, watery eyes and feel generally down, my daughter just sneezes 20/30 times a day, if not 30'40, Ive seen her so sneezy that she doesn't stop for 10 mins or so, but she does not have a runny nose or other symptoms just the constant and often irritating sneezing, is this an allergy or not?

Alison

i've started having a runny nose and sneezing for the first time...i'm 44. i heard you can get hayfever any time...even 44!!!
i would like to see the research...i think it is tied in with bad washing powder, also this year, all my trousers have shrunk. the only common denominator....all the trousers are washed with the same powder!!!

I'm a sufferer myself and it really depends on what pollen is about as to what symptoms I get...

Sometimes it's just an itchy nose (like it wants to sneeze but can't?)
Other times I get sneezing fits (that one caused me to run in the back of a car a couple of years ago!)
Around this time of year I get stuffy sinuses, headaches, sore/itchy eyes and usually a sore throat too (can also make my skin itch all over when the kale/oil seed rape fields are in full bloom).

Weird part is that I only developed this about 10 years ago after moving from the countryside in Lancashire to Luton... Since I moved back the symptoms have slowly abated somewhat.

Elysarian":2gf2ju5i said:
I'm a sufferer myself and it really depends on what pollen is about as to what symptoms I get...

Other times I get sneezing fits (that one caused me to run in the back of a car a couple of years ago!)
Around this time of year I get stuffy sinuses, headaches, sore/itchy eyes and usually a sore throat too (can also make my skin itch all over when the kale/oil seed rape fields are in full bloom).

Weird part is that I only developed this about 10 years ago after moving from the countryside in Lancashire to Luton... Since I moved back the symptoms have slowly abated somewhat.

My daughter sometimes sneezes to the excess and has asked if there is anything I can do to help her, should I think about antihistamines or let it just run it's course as it's just manic sneezing rather than the more serious sides of it?

Alison

Isaac_AG":3obgjjy8 said:
Elysarian":3obgjjy8 said:

My daughter sometimes sneezes to the excess and has asked if there is anything I can do to help her, should I think about antihistamines or let it just run it's course as it's just manic sneezing rather than the more serious sides of it?

Alison

Best advice I can give here would be to ask your pharmacist :)

I can't see that it'd do any harm to buy a pack of over-the-counter antihistamines to try though (that's how I nailed down the fact that I have hayfever, I got stronger ones on prescription later).

Don't rule out pets, pollution or dust as well. I 'grew' in and out of severe hayfever between the ages of about 8 and 13. There are lots of things that can cause a reaction and especially this year as we have had such weird weather, changing the timing of some pollens. I still get hayfever sometimes but can control it has I have worked out which antihistamine works most effectively for me.

Try a variety of different antihistamines - go to the pharmacy, speak to them about the different types (they hit slightly different bases and some can potentially knock you out - Piriton acts like a sleeping pill to some people!) go for the generic ones as they are way cheaper and you should see an improvement.

bear in mind the 2 common antihistamines have different properties. cetirizine and lotoradine. I have to take antihistamine everyday and have done so since a bike ride in 1990 (long story and not important) cetirizine works as in removes the harsh symptoms of feeling unwell but leaves the visible symptoms bhich are purely visible and have no ill effects. I can go for 3 days without a top up in winter and 2 days in summer. lotoradine makes me tired and doesnt have as good an effect on the rest.
ignore zirtek its 4 times the cost of the tesco/asda stuff and contains exactly the same ingredients.
so if you are going to try one (and there is no harm in trying them) get both and leave 2 days between each variety and look for the reduced effects. but dont forget sneezing is just a reaction to something else not just pollen/hayfever so a doctor is your best bet rather than us lot lol.

Back