Twin Cinder Cone projects

marge602

Retro Guru
Hi folks. Had a stroke of good fortune over the weekend. I've been reunited with my old Cinder Cone. Absolutely chuffed to bits. I sold the frame to one of my mates around 5 years ago, before I moved to east Northants. Thought I ought to downsize so I had less stuff to move, so I dismantled it and sold most of it, and kept a few bits for myself.

The mate I sold it to got married yesterday, so the wife and I headed back to Oxford for the weekend. Whilst we were there I discovered that another of my mates had the frame. Naturally I asked if he still wanted it, and found it was surplus to requirement. Went round to collect it on our way home, and found out it was rescued from the tip just on the off chance!

Turns out the first mate did nothing with it, was clearing out his garage one day and loading the car up for a tip run. Kona frame and all, when the second mate happened to pop round to see him, spotted the frame in the car and pulled it back out, quite rightly saying it was too good to chuck away.

So now I've got it back. It's a '92, in 20" five bar gate size. It's a bit of a state, and if you're wondering why it's green and not red, it's a rattle can job I did about 10 years ago. I first acquired it about 20 years ago as a frame, in part exchange for my Zaskar. So there's a fair bit of history wrapped up in it too.

I've also recently acquired a '97 CC, I'd been on the lookout for a nice late 90's corrected geometry steel Kona, and this came up at the right price. It's got the matt finish paint, and is in really nice condition.

The plan is this: build the blue '97 up with the modern(ish) parts I have to make something light and fast, XC style, and period resto the green '92. So, my first question has to be; where do I find the original spec for it?

Regards

Marge

Attachments

• PicsArt_1369601533385.jpg
    PicsArt_1369601533385.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 242
Hi mate. I'm in a certain ex-steel town, populated by many Scots. I'm sure you know where I'm referring to.

Regards

Marge

marge602":2xj8wbze said:
Hi mate. I'm in a certain ex-steel town, populated by many Scots. I'm sure you know where I'm referring to.

Regards

Marge

Ah yes the one with the square library :)

If you fancy a ride with some like minded Retrobikers have a look at this, its always a good one :)

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=253560

If you're looking for inspiration for a modern build for the 97 frame, see the link below for the one I've just finished. It's taken a while but it was worth it. Hand on heart, I don't know which bike I prefer to ride: this one or my much more modern and much more expensive Santa Cruz - the Kona is that fun! Message me if you have any questions. Have fun with the build!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... mp;start=0

Latest posts

Back