The HiFi chat, build and modification thread!

Now with added 'blueness' :LOL:

166000_10151635352352778_559047119_n.jpg

Phones on after a few beers and liking what I can do with my tone controls more than the Quad's controls. Boost very low bass (cos I like bass - who doesn't?) and boost a bit of HF to compensate for my 47 year old ears.

Definitely gonna feature in my 'no compromise' preamp...

Dull post........

I need to clear out some speakers, an amp or two, and a couple of other pieces. All retro Hi-Fi - some 1970's, some 1980's, some early '90's. Everything is working and good cosmetic condition. All prices are collected - if you want a courier then I'll find the cheapest / best to suit.

Speakers:
1 x Pair of KEF Cantor III speakers. Very good condition. Grills included £100
1 x pair of KEF Chorale III speakers. One driver missing - ideal for spares for the Cantors above ^^ as the tweeters, drivers and crossovers are the same £30
1 x pair of TDL RTL3 transmission line speakers. VGC with grills, plinths and spikes. £160
1 x pair of Technics SB-CS75 speakers. VGC with grills. £30

Amps:
Musical Fidelity A3.2 dual mono amp. Mint with remote, box & manuals. Love this thing !! £500
Technics SU-X520D amp. Good condition with remote & manuals. £85

Other stuff:
Technics ST-7300 tuner. Vintage circa 1978. very cool looking. £40
Technics ST-X902L tuner. £20
Technics SH-E85 DSP £60
Technics SL-PJ38A CD player £20
Technics RS-X520 double cassette deck £20
Technics SL-J110R Turntable £35
Nice quality floor standing stand for separates system. Free if included with all the Technics seperates listed in blue - £210 total for the lot - the stuff in blue. I also have all the inter-connects etc and manuals for everything for this setup listed above in blue which is included

If anyone is interested in anything then please PM me for pics etc. There are a few of these things that I would rather keep because I really like them. But EVERYTHING is for sale. I want to keep the Musical Fidelity amp, and the TDL speakers - and possibly the Kef Cantor's.

Location for pickup is Cannock, Staffs (10 mins from Cannock Chase). I can courier stuff within the UK no problem. If someone wants international shipping, then please talk to me and I'll see what I can do. I must be specific at this point - if you choose to use a courier then it is at your risk, particularly regarding speakers. I pack everything very well for shipping - but you just can't pack speakers to avoid courier damage full stop.

:)

edit: I searched to find the right place for this post - and could only find this thread. If there is a dedicated Hi-Fi sale thread then, mods - please move it and sorry for the hassle :)

apache":xx25bvgd said:
legrandefromage":xx25bvgd said:
headphone amp! portable!

Was talking to a mate down the pub, and we think it has to be Class A as you can have Class A for headphones without the huge heat load when you need speaker driving power.

People think class A means "Good, better than class B" but they're actually just the simplest and least efficient amp design:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Class_A

What is the reason behind portable headphone amps?

Mostly marketing and superstition. Modern portable audio amps are extremely good. Except when driving very power hungry headphones - say HD600s - and extra amp will actually be harmful. But typical hifi nuts... well, these are people who spend $3000 on "high end" cd players that no one can tell from a $100 one or even a PS1 in blind tests.

Back