1971 Carlton Competition

Midlife":1vrb6on8 said:
On a very picky thing the front part of the front mudguard is pointing a bit skyward........loosen the stays and try and make the mudguard mirror the curve of the wheel....... Then my boss made me cut off the stays at the nut so no more adjstment could be carried out LOL

Shaun

Old Bluemels can be an absolute b*gger to get spot on sometimes, i take ages adjusting, readjusting then going back to what I had start with... :oops:

Yep......trying to get them right for a paying customer was a pain.

for screw in one's at the chainstay we used a variety of spacers to try and get them right. If there was a clip then that was "it" unless you drilled out the clip and used a bolt. have you got a pic from underneath to look at the chainstay bridge. ?

I remember fitting a set of alloy guards for a customer who then had a fit because he thought he had bought blue metallic......that was the blue film they used to protect them. Places like Woolies who sold bikes never took the film off the small sport mudguards. I used to pick the film off whenever I saw a bike parked up. Wonder what they thought when they returned to their bikes and they had silver tiny mudguards and not blue :)

Shaun

Reviving this thread just to say that an old chap locally who builds up and sells a variety of BSO's called me in to his garage yesterday, as he was having trouble reading the faded decals on the top tube of an old bike he's working on.

The old bike is a Carlton Competition exactly the same as the one in this thread, only not in nearly as good condition.

I know he's going to sell the Carlton, is it worth making a sensible offer for?

NeilM":1gq6whbu said:
I know he's going to sell the Carlton, is it worth making a sensible offer for?
I think it's worth making an offer. I really like this bike, it rides well, and it's got a classy look. It would be good to see a photo if you manage to get your hands on it.

Do you really need to ask that question! YES of course it is, another project is just what you need :)

Thank you Tel. :facepalm:

How much, for a good frame and forks with some old, some new, some crap parts fitted and in desperate need of new paint?

Here's my 1971/2 Carlton Competition, which I picked up as a frame with a few components on it from Ebay
I'm told these were supplied as a frame only, so I have fitted period components, except for the wheels which are 700c Rigidas which I had to redish with a 7 speed block.
I repainted it with rattle cans and had to source the decals from multiple places
I've a few final touches to finish off, but she's nearly there

Frame & Fork: 531
Stem: GB
Handlebar: GB
Brake Levers: Weinmann
Brake Calipers: Universal 61
Shifters: Campag
Front Derailleur: Campag Record
Rear Derailleur: Campag Gran Sport
Cranks: Stronglight 49D
Pedals: SR SP150
Saddle: Brooks
I have the same frame. Am in process of painting.Where did you get the decal that says 'competition' from ?

That decal's not bad (ignoring that it appears to spell Competitian) but it's not correct. If you can get a picture of the original I know Steve at Hlloyd cycles (look'em up) can make a super copy.

Back