er, 10-42T cassette anyone?

I can see the attraction of simplifying as much as possible on a bike. Really don't like the idea of adding more weight to the rear end though, as little as it might be. I think there is room for improvement in the front shifting area to make it more intuitive, or even 'auto adjusting' for those who have problems setting it up.

Would be happy to try the 1x11 out though; just can't see me justifying that outlay while there are still so many other setups out there so it will be a case of throwing a leg over someone else's.

highlandsflyer":25u6i65h said:
I can see the attraction of simplifying as much as possible on a bike. Really don't like the idea of adding more weight to the rear end though, as little as it might be. I think there is room for improvement in the front shifting area to make it more intuitive, or even 'auto adjusting' for those who have problems setting it up.

Would be happy to try the 1x11 out though; just can't see me justifying that outlay while there are still so many other setups out there so it will be a case of throwing a leg over someone else's.

Simplification is a big driver for me too. I ditched the big ring yonks ago because I never used it, I then found that with a dual I soent most of my time in the middle ring. That combined with the odd dropped chain made it a no brainer for me. It was also cheaper when I built the SX because I already had a chain guide so only needed to buy one ring not two and one shifter.

I don't think 11 speed is quite the game changer that the press make it out to be, especially at the current prices. Once they fall, I'll probably give it a go. I'm fine at the mo but there are times where I would like a slightly easier gear.

Chopper1192":34nva58n said:
It'll never be a game changer while the spacing is such it so easily clogs with mud.
they don't clog with mud. 90% of the cassette is air.

mattr":td1f6wz2 said:
Chopper1192":td1f6wz2 said:
It'll never be a game changer while the spacing is such it so easily clogs with mud.
The air between the gears does clog with mud. Try riding in it sometime. The 8/9 speed spacing was about as far as it was sensible to go in the gloopy UK climate.

Chopper1192":235g7kul said:
mattr":235g7kul said:
Chopper1192":235g7kul said:
The air between the gears does clog with mud. Try riding in it sometime. The 8/9 speed spacing was about as far as it was sensible to go in the gloopy UK climate.

I spend 95% of my time riding trails that have no mud at all.

I drive different all terrain vehicles, there is more to shedding mud than 'air gaps' anyway.

Don't know if I could say six speed was much better than eight speed at shedding mud.

Hard to tell about any of these things when most 'research' and comparison is highly subjective.

It does seem logical that stuffing 11 cogs where there may have been 9 might leave less room for foreign matter to fall away.

I would have to see some in depth trials.

My 10 speeds has been pretty good and not getting blocked with mud despite being ridden in some truest gopping conditions. It's certainly better than the close ratio nine speed cassettes that I ran with a dual front ring.

I am heartened to hear that. Like I say, I see little mud as most of my riding is up on the hills. I am all for any advances in tech.

I would love an infinitely variable transmission solution.

Latest posts

Back