Print a gun.......what a knob

I'd have thought that if you want a gun to do harm with then the last thing that you would want to do would be to buy a £7K printer and a load of plastic and then have it delivered to your house (all nice and traceable for the local law enforcers and requires technical skills) when they can just buy a real one one for used notes from a bloke in a pub.

Equally - I can't really see the averaged armed group of fighters sitting round in a tent somewhere waiting for it to print a crappy, almost certainly badly designed, lump of plastic for them that they then have to bolt a whole load of existing gun components to. Especially when they can dig up/buy an AK47 from somewhere - or whatever.

In reality I think that in most parts of the world if you really want a fire arm you can get your hands on one, illegally or not, for a lot less than the cost of a 3D printer - and one that is likely to work a lot better than what he's come up with.

Bloke seems like he has a hugely over-inflated ego though - all he's actually done is drawn up some rough CAD plans; big deal. The sad thing is that you can see the benefits of 3D printing and how it's likely to be overshadowed by knobs like him.

Why would the BBC blatantly show this on TV ? Surely it should not have as it will give the wannabe murderer more idea's :facepalm:

that chap is also a grade A asshat.

You dont need to buy a "printer", just send the CAD off to a company that uses them. They would have to be pretty tuned in to figure out what the bits are for. I could have that assembled on my desk in 24 hours should I wish, and I would guess at a cost of around £500. Based on ordering parts from different suppliers to avoid suspicion.

Of course there are other cheaper and probably better ways to make a firearm, the devastating thing about guns is they are fundamentally simple. I am however irked at the coverage of the technology (which is fantastic) being all about nutjobs making plastic guns.

I use this type of tech on a weekly basis, it has transformed the engineering/prototyping world and it will go on to transform manufacturing. I have seen this type technology used to recreate from scan data, in titanium the facial bones of a motorcycle crash patient, and effectively be directly implanted into the patient rebuilding his severely smashed up face. Similar tech is also used in to build the skeleton around which the first artificial lab grown organs to be transplanted into humans have been grown. There are so many amazing things being done it is perhaps inevitable you end up with people like these selling the darker possibilities.

It is worth saying that this sort of additive modelling has been commercially available for at least a decade. But it has developed fast and the prices are dropping rapidly.

What that article misses is that you can use metals in very similar systems. Which would easily withstand the pressure and heat. At the moment the machines cost a fortune and are only really affordable to industry, but you can order parts from them. And like everything else, the technology will trickle down.

Isn't this all just theoretical though or am I missing something? Surely it's easier to just buy one which is likely to be more accurate, reliable and cheaper - isn't it?

Right now it's easier indeed. However this opens up a lot of possibilities for the near future.
Right now it's extremely difficult to buy a gun that can fool a metal detector at the airport. Imagine what happens once the technology and designs mature and 3D printed weapons become common. Flying will suddenly become a LOT more dangerous, which means everyone will get frisked 5 times before getting on a plane.

There's still something called the hidden internet, Go google it or send me a PM if you want to learn more about the hidden internet etc, I don't want to get banned for putting stuff like that here.

Latest posts

Back