Weight Watching - Worthwhile Worrying?

Bloody hell, that the spitting image of elpedro :eek:

DSCF0070.jpg

Interesting thread, I came here from the other one!

For some reason I'm attracted to tough bikes that can take a beating, probably cos I like a little playfulness, I'm talking about my moderns though really, my Cotic is probs 30lbs, and I feel it, even if it can take anything at a all, might trick out some faster rolling lighter wheels. The retro bikes, specially springy light ones ace again but still tricky to handle with old racing geometry. I'm over 6 ft but still actually under 11st, any less and I'd be in trouble, so I suppose it makes a big difference what the rider is like and how each bike feels makes sense...

FluffyChicken":3eycnbjr said:

DSCF0070.jpg

Spooky. Maybe he was the inspiration for the cartoon? Does he know? Will he be happy? :LOL:

I think if you must tinker with your bike, personalise it, make it your own etc then going the weight-weenie route is acceptable, as long as you realise your pockets will soon be empty and your friends will desert you as your increasingly anal attention to detail grows to ridiculous proportions :LOL:

For instance....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KCNC-Tita...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item20d1df8c43
$(KGrHqQOKp0E-EhjCtzzBRc+DQ5Ks!~~60_35.JPG

although the "corrosion-free" part does seem to me to be a plus point :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Is oxidisation lighter or heavier than the original object? If you let it rust then scrape it off does it weigh less?

The History Man":2xb4c3v7 said:
Is oxidisation lighter or heavier than the original object? If you let it rust then scrape it off does it weigh less?

If it was rusty and you removed the rust, then I guess you would have less material than when you started, so yes, you could save some weight that way :D

here's a good example...
010.jpg

marker":16yhg8y6 said:
The History Man":16yhg8y6 said:
But if you're riding for fitness does a light bike lessen the benefit? How does one balance this with the desire to fiddle and fettle, to personalise and improve the look of the bike?

Since getting my new love I am constantly trawling for bits to 'improve' it. Weight will probably increase especially if I want to carry tool kit and tube etc as I gather tyres are a lot thinner than in my day and could leave me stranded? Other tan that I've been making the bike fit me with an eye on the aesthetic and have only just thought about the weight issue.
I see your point but it often happens you ride faster/harder on a light bike than a full susser so end up more knackered
Hence better training :)

I have been keeping this view in mind of late...................another bike looms methinks.

The History Man":14ogyllh said:
FluffyChicken":14ogyllh said:

DSCF0070.jpg

Spooky. Maybe he was the inspiration for the cartoon? Does he know? Will he be happy? :LOL:

Ecstatic, at least I will be when I next get hold of Ben the cheeky little Rob Warner...

That is a 21 or 22lb bike there though, will be under 20 next time it's out to play :|

There's nothing weak or substandard on there though (except the rider of course) and it's been hammered up and around everything since it was new in '97, no holds barred, dirt jumping and all sorts of silliness, never missed a beat :cool:

Fact is I love the feel of a fast lightweight bike: nothing moves, accelerated, changes direction like lightweight wheels and tyres and I've been hooked since my first set of Mavic 230s totally revolutionised my bike many moons ago.

I also love my 35lb beast which hammers across the countryside like a roving monster crushing all in it's path, but it's a totally different experience and barely even the same sport - a totally different riding style altogether.

For a bit of 'best of both worlds' fun, try sticking a proper sticky DH tyre (I like a Minion DHF Super Tacky) on the front of your weenie, then grin like a fool all day long! Seriously recommend that you try this, just try not to destroy your rear wheel in the process.

shogun":14ogyllh said:
Build your bikes only as heavy as they need to be.

The only sensible answer to all this nonsense ;)

Watch your back Benny boy, I will see you around

About to go modern, so avert your eyes if not so inclined...

This was the ultimate expression of 'as heavy as needs be' for me, I raced 2 seasons of MTNX on it until I had a couple of really big crashes and packed it in. Ended up at 24.9lb, was my weekend play bike, dirt jumper, saw some skate park, spent its racing life banging berms flat out and smashing 20'+ gaps with a 85-95kg rider. I just figured if I could upgrade to something as strong or stronger than original and lose some grams as well as gain some function (e.g. from Holzfeller to Saint M810 cranks, easton->azonic->finally sunline bar/stem setup etc), then I would.
20112008146.jpg

There really is no reason why a basic XC type hardtail for fairly tame, low impact riding can't be lighter than that without sacrificing its integrity. I personally think you're only a weight weenie if you start sacrificing function for weight, and IMO that is silly as their is a point where lighter is no longer better.

Back