HONC 2013 Aftermath

after a few days to ponder,it,s time to write a bit.this was my first HONC a i cannot say i really enjoyed it. bottleneck climbs and plenty of mud.it was nice to see some old faces again.i did the 100km , but after 35 km there was only me left of the starting group.daj had vanished,theredchilli had spat his dummy out and gone home leaving just the guv,nor on a modern crosser ( try harder john, you let yourself and family down )i think i was the only retrobiker to do 100km on a 26 " wheel bike. and a couple of points

1, where them bannana,s really green at the feed stop ?
2,was the hill straight after the feed bloody long ?
3 at the last check the marshal gave me a energy bar.but pineapple and cinamon...really what nobhead thought up that flavour? it went straight over the nearest hedge
4 cotswold mud suck,s , even when you walk in it

Was good to see a few of you all there. I ended up with a group of friends from cheltenham. Unexpectedly they waited for me after the first bottle neck so I thne felt obliged to wait for them at various other points, even though one of them got slower and slower!!
I only did the 50km but on a true retrobike. My e stay kili was perfect. No chain suck for me. Had no mechanical issues at all and only one short section of mud that really clagged the wheels up.
There was some mud that someone described as plasticine. That was hard going, and the downhill where you had to pedal hard against the wind to get down it was annoying but all in all I thought it was a great day out. 4.5hrs but my tracker said moving for 3.55, so plenty of breaks along the way.

Attachments

• Honc 2013.jpg
    Honc 2013.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 707
matthew71":3bh1lfwd said:
after a few days to ponder,it,s time to write a bit.this was my first HONC a i cannot say i really enjoyed it. bottleneck climbs and plenty of mud.it was nice to see some old faces again.i did the 100km , but after 35 km there was only me left of the starting group.daj had vanished,theredchilli had spat his dummy out and gone home leaving just the guv,nor on a modern crosser ( try harder john, you let yourself and family down )i think i was the only retrobiker to do 100km on a 26 " wheel bike. and a couple of points

1, where them bannana,s really green at the feed stop ?
2,was the hill straight after the feed bloody long ?
3 at the last check the marshal gave me a energy bar.but pineapple and cinamon...really what nobhead thought up that flavour? it went straight over the nearest hedge
4 cotswold mud suck,s , even when you walk in it

Matt, all I can say is sorry.

Think at that point I was enjoying it less than it looks...

Attachments

• SSP_TR_X3755 (EM).jpg
    SSP_TR_X3755 (EM).jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 681
Back