Falling off

Guitar106Music

Dirt Disciple
So, on my way to work this morning, along the canal towpath, I see a pedestrian coming in the opposite direction. He moves over to the canal side of the path and I move over to the other side to give him plenty of room. There is a nicely graduated bank on my right, except for one bit, that looks like long grass, but it most certainly isn't. I clip it with my pedal, turns out it was a pretty big piece of mud, sending me out of control. As is normal every time I've come off a bike, things go into slow motion, bike skips right, then rapidly left, the look on the guys face as I career towards him, the realisation I'm not going to be able to hold it. The acceptance I'm going down, and the hope it won't be too serious.

I hit the path about 15-20 foot from where I clipped the bank, heading in the general direction of the canal with the bike on top of me, I just manage to stop short, by about 6 inches, the bike on the other hand...........

It flies straight over the top of me and straight into the drink :(

I stagger to my feet and look in the canal to see it's floating, for some reason that surprised me, not sure why, bearing in mind it's full of air. And it's starting to drift away. At which point the guy on the towpath managed to grab hold of it and haul it out.

It seems to have escaped relatively unscathed, except for a pretty nasty gash on the top tube.

As for myself, I seem to be OK, it's been a few hours now, and my shoulder hurts a bit as does my leg, but it doesn't seem too bad.
I class it as a lucky escape!

So to everyone that has ever fallen off, and to all of those that haven't (yet) be careful out there!

Cheers widowmaker, bike seems OK, gear changes are a bit iffy, I might strip the rear mech tonight and have a play.
Tow paths are better than the pyscho road users on my commute into Birmingham, although 3 punctures and 1 crash in 10 days is a bit annoying.

Tell me about it, I was using a helmet cam up till last month when I sent it back for being rubbish, it would have made excellent footage! I could do with the money!

Everyone at work laughed at me, and said they would have laughed even more had I gone in!

I dont like towpaths either but have no problem with single track across steep hills, boardwalks and many other paths with something I want to avoid yet canal towpaths make me nervous, Think I have canalaphobia :LOL:

Here's the solution. And it's a proper retro set as well.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Raging_Bulls":1gtg9yv9 said:
Here's the solution. And it's a proper retro set as well.
smiley-laughing021.gif

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back