Campagnolo Valentino front mech adjustment

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Came across one of these for the first time today and found myself slightly flummoxed.

The main screw on the top of the body adjusts the amount the mech moved out but is there any way to adjust the inward travel? The cage is connected to the rod has a cam does this offer some adjustment too?

Blimey this takes me back.........is there a small screw on the back which limits the inward travel, apart from that all I remember is shortening the cable so that the inward travel is limited by the length of the cable.

Wish I had total recall LOL

Shaun

Thanks Shaun. I'd seen them before but never worked on them. There is a small screw on the back of the body which I thought maybe for adjustment but looking at an exploded view it appears to just be how the cable clamp is fixed to the body.

Reading online it looks as though there is not any inward travel adjustment you just have to get the axle length right and the bike I was working had a very short bb, the inner ring was extremely close to the frame.

Hi Tel

My impression was that the only way to limit the movement inwards was by shortening the cable, not helpfull if the cage doesn't drop down far enough :)

I guess the solution is to get a longer axle or gently coax the front mech into a better shape.....spin it a bit and expand the cage with a pair of pliers wrapped in a rag and twist or use a small spanner to widen the cage......

Yes I really do think it could do with a longer axle and then I can coax it into a better shape if required. As an aside the adjustable cup had a lot of thread exposed, I've never known this to be normal so do wonder if it has the wrong axle anyway, perhaps an Italian one or something....

Keen to get the bike back now to conquer it!

Thanks for the input Shaun :)

Too much adjustable cup showing usually means the wrong axle is in :(

If it's sitting too far in on the drive side it could also be the wrong way round too if the axle is asymmetrical, just out of curiosity what's the frame / drive?

Shaun

Its a beautiful 60's Hetchins (straight stay). Drive is TA crank, Valentino front, 980 rear, 6 speed freewheel but largest cog is limited out as mech does not cope (?), hubs are Weinmann.

I did think that perhaps the bb axle was round the wrong way....

I should have measured bb width were they standard 68mm then? Other than an Italian bb axle I wouldn't expect the cup to sit any further out.

If it's the 'matchbox' one then you move the cage, with the chain on the inner ring and on the largest rear sprocket, on the arm to it's 'inner limit' using the grub-screw type bolt and then adjust the throw, with chain on outer ring and smallest sprocket, with the top screw. This is how the original Gran Sport ones were adjusted so I see no reason why the Valentino shouldn't be the same.

Hi Tel,
With regard to the 980 not coping with a low gear just had the same problem changed it for a gran sport and it copes perfectly it struck me that it was to do with the length of the gear hanger. If you get the Valentino sorted and want try a Red C Valentino rear mech to match I have a really good one going spare and I'm just up the road in Canterbury.

Dave

I had one of those valentino front mechs, really cool thing, wish i'd kept it. Strangely it came with a Falcon high ten steel racer with cheap everything, it was probably worth more than the rest of the bike.

Back