Sitting at the bottom

stevec1975":tyutma4y said:
in the words of Yazz, the only was is up.

I had similar issues a while ago, made redundant, no job, recession was on. no recruitment, didn't get up before midday, mental issues, firing out hundreds of cv's to no avail, eventually got a job through a newspaper ad, super low pay, sales based with comm, turns out I am rubbish at selling, stuck it out for 10 months whilst hating every day, this did however, keep my CV constant and up to date, got another job and have gone to a situation now that many people would give their right arm for. The trouble is I remember those hard times, surviving on £10 for 2 weeks etc and it makes me super reluctant to blow a couple of grand on a pair of wheels or a frame even though I can.

First thoughts.
Get Help where needed, CV writing, Depression etc. There are a ton of sevices out there.
Find out what you like doing, and then work out what skills you have that are transferable and you can monetize
Claim as much money as you can from every source, you have, after all, contributed so you are only taking it back.
Keep on keeping on, keep the spirit up, find any job to get you out of the house.

Top advice, top advice indeed :D

stevec1975":2gcbr9ey said:

Probably better musical advice to espouse than "things can only get better"; after all, the bloke who played keyboards on that track now appears on telly telling us about the less than cheery prospect in store that is the Heat Death of the Universe. Didn't think that one through, did you Brian? ;)

On a serious note, the internet - as well as the local library - ought to be chock-full of free info on preparing a good CV/covering letter. If you sign up with a job agency, chances are they'll also have such resources to offer you as well as tips on interview technique etc. (I used to get those kind of e-mailshots from one of the science-specific agencies I registered with).

David

David B":zqjm6kkq said:
stevec1975":zqjm6kkq said:

Probably better musical advice to espouse than "things can only get better"; after all, the bloke who played keyboards on that track now appears on telly telling us about the less than cheery prospect in store that is the Heat Death of the Universe. Didn't think that one through, did you Brian? ;)

On a serious note, the internet - as well as the local library - ought to be chock-full of free info on preparing a good CV/covering letter. If you sign up with a job agency, chances are they'll also have such resources to offer you as well as tips on interview technique etc. (I used to get those kind of e-mailshots from one of the science-specific agencies I registered with).

David

Science specific ?

You in the science business :D

It is so recognizable what you are writing... I'm also in the same position have a job now for six months but most of my jobs are temporary.. The feeling everything what you do leads to nothing.. Working your ass off and get nothing in the end of the day. The feeling when you are out of a job, it makes me feel like a loser. The struggle to pay the bills if you are out of a job gives so much stress. I hope you get out of that bottom soon! All the best!

dalecooper":l628ewg6 said:
It is so recognizable what you are writing... I'm also in the same position have a job now for six months but most of my jobs are temporary.. The feeling everything what you do leads to nothing.. Working your ass off and get nothing in the end of the day. The feeling when you are out of a job, it makes me feel like a loser. The struggle to pay the bills if you are out of a job gives so much stress. I hope you get out of that bottom soon! All the best!

The other problem I've found with temporary/contract roles in the past is that the "pick & mix" nature of your CV can give employers the wrong impression in terms of ability to hold down a job.

David

widowmaker":34gl79x1 said:
Science specific ?

You in the science business :D

Sort of. Currently making sure the machinery behind secondary chemistry teaching stays well-oiled and in good repair. :)

David

...still here, at the bottom.

Bike's sold, car's sold - just an empty space and an oil patch to remind me.

Missus isnt sleeping, I'm not sleeping.

Didnt even get a cheap and cheerful valeting job at a local main dealer...

Positives?

Was told yesterday 'at least you are still smiling'

Going into the job centre on Thursday. Heres a hoping!

You need to try and sort the sleep thing out first , i apologise if i am teaching a granny to suck eggs. Sleep deprovation can make such a difference to your perspective :(

I feel for you man - i really do :!:

legrandefromage":3l3q9mhe said:
...still here, at the bottom.

Bike's sold, car's sold - just an empty space and an oil patch to remind me.

Missus isnt sleeping, I'm not sleeping.

Didnt even get a cheap and cheerful valeting job at a local main dealer...

Positives?

Was told yesterday 'at least you are still smiling'

Going into the job centre on Thursday. Heres a hoping!
Is the taxi thing not an option - or is the start-up costs prohibitive?

I could go back, yes, however:

The cars are now £320 per week to rent plus about £125 - £150 for fuel each week.

Theres no servicing or insurance to pay but with fuel prices as high as they are, even in a '62' plate Mondeo, it is very difficult to make a reasonable income.

To earn £50 a day for myself (before income tax and national insurance), I would have to turn over at least £130 a day and thats without food or breaks. It would be a 12 hour/ 6 day week with no paid sick leave or holiday.

Looking back over my records, I was averaging £80 to £100 during the week with up to £200 on a Friday, averaging £220 a week after fuel and other costs. We could not make ends meet on that plus service the car I had at the time and pay my NI/ tax.

I still work part time in the taxi but last week only earned £55 after costs. It is no longer a viable option if:

A: I want to make a living

B: Do want to end up splitting from the missus and flogging the house leaving me with absolutely nothing.

We are trying to get a shop going but that takes time. Lots of events we normally travel to have been cancelled due to the weather so our income this year is quite a percentage down on where it could be.

I'm writing this all down to aid myself too. Trying to figure out what is what and what to do for the best.

Back