Another road fatality

So they ride like the average commuter then?

And what does it say about our society when were sadly tut tutting the victim instead of thinking of ways toile his perfectly lawful pastime that bit safer?

Chopper1192":1jap1hux said:
And what does it say about our society when were sadly tut tutting the victim instead of thinking of ways toile his perfectly lawful pastime that bit safer?

^^^^ This ^^^^

safer roads are a thing of the past;had 3 near misses in last 6 mths all
drivers pulling out on me and every time a clear road and all times I was in a cycle lane'
its not about how you ride,its putting yourself in harms way.

I remember seeing a TT being held on a section of the A55 a couple of years ago. It's a wide enough road, and it was being held on a fairly quiet afternoon, but I felt physically sick just watching the riders. There are always artics barrelling along that stretch (it's the only route they can reasonably use) and even during a quiet period, some of them were barely able to change lanes in time to pass the bikes. It wouldn't have taken much of an error or oversight for something fairly horrific to happen.

Chopper1192":3fl5t3kp said:

I certainly wasn't tut tutting the victim but I would certainly think twice before seriously endangering my life for the sake of an afternoons sport, all I'm trying to say is that the A63 particularly between junction 38 where I live and the Brough junction is really treated as a narrower continuation of the M62. I've passed the weekend time trialers in torrential rain some days when its near zero visibility when catching up to an hgv and the lorries just have nowhere to go when its busy.

chrisv40":3bklix8n said:
Chopper1192":3bklix8n said:

I certainly wasn't tut tutting the victim but I would certainly think twice before seriously endangering my life for the sake of an afternoons sport, all I'm trying to say is that the A63 particularly between junction 38 where I live and the Brough junction is really treated as a narrower continuation of the M62. I've passed the weekend time trialers in torrential rain some days when its near zero visibility when catching up to an hgv and the lorries just have nowhere to go when its busy.

Plus one thing you have to say - tradition is probably why these things still occur when traffic is around - because you can't imagine any sort of new racing (yes, I get - it's against the clock) on the road whilst normal traffic is using the road, too.

And yes, I get, they have some road rally type time trials things on roads that are notionally still open for normal traffic - but as I understand it, the road laws still stand, and they tend to be at middle-of-the-night-o'clock, don't they?

My experience of commuting on roads (early evening in summer) that were quite rural A roads, was that it wasn't ideal, in that being aware you can deal with it, but not all traffic will, plus for HGVs and the like, they can have their hands full with cyclists who are aware of their limitations, never mind those that may well be head down, trying to beat the clock.

Could cross winds have been a factor? It's easy to get blown several feet off your line by a gusting cross wind when using aero-bars. It has been windy lately too.

Chopper1192":3diygvll said:
It's very much about how you ride.

Yes you know what i thought that last Monday after i rode back from the post office. Coming down a slight downhil i had to pull out to overtake a stationary bus at a bus stop and a white van driver decided to overtake me and swerve in. I though "this is entirely my fault for attemptingto ride on a road legitimately i should have stopped and waited for the bus to pull away" .

oh no wait i did actually think - what a complete effing tool overtaking me overtaking a bus just to swerve in and join some stationary traffic.

Latest posts

Back